Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting facing up-range

Magnus DUX

IDPA does not allow you to turn counterclockwise (for right handed shooters), you must turn "into" the gun in that game.

IDPA has no such rule.

-rvb

Really? The guys around here that shoot IDPA always turn that way & they told me it was the "rule". How about that. HMMM, wonder where they got that idea? Guess that is what I get for taking someone's word on it. I don't shoot that game much at all so I'll take your word on it that I was wrong.

MLM

So, turning towards your 'gun side' seems to be the consensus?

I'm a lefty and naturally want to turn clockwise, ie towards my support side. At the buzzer, I move my right foot back very slightly and pivot round to the right on it as the left leg swings round, dropping my left hand onto the grip and not drawing until fully turned downrange. Just tried the movement while turning left and it wasn't nearly as smooth.

Guess I'm just strange, heh :P

I got a DQ for this very thing 2-3 weeks ago, (Rt handed shooter) turned left instead of right and broke 180 on accident, I was right on the line of 180 though, could have went both ways. It happened on accident, didn't fire until I was downrange but the draw was right on the border of 180.

Ooooops... lol

Always turn to the side your pistol is on just to make sure.

Truth be told, before they defined the rule, there were a lot of close calls... Thing is, when you are that fast, not only is it hard to be sure, but your body is in the way as well. I remember watching bad ass runs and a lot of them would not fly today.

JT

JT, Last years Open/Prod Nats there was a stage where one of the ROs was ON the 180 "waiting" for the shooter to break the 180. 11 DQs on that stage in the first half of the match. Not sure who jumped the gun more, the shooter on the draw or the RO with the DQs. Needless to say I was WELL past the 180 before my gun even moved a nanometer just to keep me from earning a trip to Dairy Queen land.

IDPA does not allow you to turn counterclockwise (for right handed shooters), you must turn "into" the gun in that game.

IDPA has no such rule.

-rvb

Really? The guys around here that shoot IDPA always turn that way & they told me it was the "rule". How about that. HMMM, wonder where they got that idea? Guess that is what I get for taking someone's word on it. I don't shoot that game much at all so I'll take your word on it that I was wrong.

MLM

I would kindly ask them to show me where it says so in the rule book. If it says it is a rule then I would follow the rule. Just my opinion though.

Joe W.