Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FS Article

BrianH

I believe we have to start this "marketing" at the local level. Yes, the TV ads would be great and I agree that we need some kind of video files linked to the website so people can see what our sport is like.

However, as local shooters we need to get out and beat the bushes for new participants. We have three gun stores that really promote our sport. Phil Strader runs videos almost constantly and has just affliated an USPSA club. Some of you will recognize the name of Tommy Thacker, one of the fastest rising shooters. Tommy runs videos in his store all the time and has USPSA brochures available. We have another store where the owner just loves to shoot and has probably brought in six or seven new shooters this year just by talking the sport up.

I have approached the LE community in our area and hope to put on a couple of demo stages with the help of one of our new shooters who coaches Jr. Smallbore. Jrs will shoot free with a paid adult at our club this year.

The national organization can only do so much to bring new shooters in and make them feel welcome. We as individuals have to show our love and excitement for the sport in order to keep new shooters interested.

Rumor has it USPSA is doing an 'annual' magazine to attract new shooters. Look for it soon.

We tried the gun-show video thing once and it turned out pretty well-- we got a bunch of new shooters interested and some of them are still around. I'll throw a CD in the mail to anybody doing the same with our videos on it if they want. All you need is a halfway decent laptop to show them and somebody to answer the inevitable questions.

Our local gun stores aren't really interested in promoting IPSC. My guess is they see few sales to IPSC shooters since they tend to buy one gun and then go get a reloader and hardly ever buy ammo again. They don't stock competition gear, so they never see any sales of that. Much easier to cater to the unwashed masses that think the latest tactical do-dad is the thing to buy.