Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN SLP TechLoader - Speedloader

Sumtoc

I have been shooting more 3 gun recently and purchased an FN SLP which has worked well for me. I shoot Open pistol so since that puts me in Open SG I put an old Optima sight on, Nordic charging handle and had the forked gate modified to a solid gate (thanks to C-Rum). Next step was to set it up for speedloading. We know that ArmsTec does not make a bracket for FN (or the Winchester SX2 Practical which I suspect is identical). Also, Arredondo does not make a speedloader assist chute for FN. Several posts here indicated that others have done it but no real easy options (that I could find) to solve the problem. I spoke with 00Bullitt about how he had done it. He recommended that I start with the bracket and speed chute for Benelli as he had better success with those than the Remington versions.

So I ordered those and went to my local gunsmith, Bob Cogan to see if he could install them on my SLP. The default install assumes that the existing trigger group pin holes are used with a longer pin threaded on one end to accept a nut, locking it all in place. It also assumes that the small bump on the underside of the speed chute will rest on the trigger guard. None of this lines up on the SLP with the Benelli (or Remington) pieces. After a lot of discussion and measuring he recommended that we drill and tap 2 holes in the receiver to attach both parts in the proper position and make a piece to extend the bump on the chute to rest on the trigger guard.

The existing holes on the left side of the bracket and chute lined up so that a hole in the receiver would not interfere with any of the internals. So that side was drilled and tap using the existing hole location. However, the using the existing holes on the right side would have interfered with the internals so it was relocated to a "safe" place on the receiver and new holes were drilled in the bracket and chute to match.

With the chute in place there was a gap between the little bump and the FN trigger guard and I asked Bob to fashion something to close that gap and that the tip be non-marring delrin or hard rubber. He cut a Dawson sight punch (aluminum with a hard plastic tip)to the right length, threaded it, drilled and tapped a hole in the chute, adjusted it to final length, finished the bottom of the chute and glued it in place with Loctite.

1pcr99 did something similar with his Win SX2, his post: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=106364&st=0&p=1210264&hl=fn%20slp%20speedloader&fromsearch=1entry1210264

The project turned out great. I used it with about 50 rounds last weekend to practice and in a SG match today with no problems. It is very solid and works smoothly. Pics below.

Couple of observations:

1) The measuring and layout for the holes is much more challenging than I would personally attempt. Even with moderate mechanical skills I knew I was not capable of doing this myself, others may be.

2) I would think that anyone installing the speedloader set up will want to get a different, longer charging handle as the bracket and chute don't leave much room for the shorter stock handle. (True for the FN but probably for other makes as well.)

3) The bolt release button is a little harder to find/activate since it is sort of buried below the thickness of the bracket and chute. It's not terrible but I am going to look for options to improve it.

FNSLPTecLoader1.jpg

FNSLPTecLoader2.jpg

FNSLPTecLoader3.jpg

FNSLPTecLoader4.jpg

FNSLPTecLoader5.jpg

That looks good. I would just be opposed to drilling and tapping my receiver. I just redrilled the Benelli speed chute and fabricated some new pins once I found the optimum location for the chute, then drilled and tapped the ends for retainer screws. The pin was mad about .020" longer. That way the screws could not be over tightened and squeeze the receiver.

But as can be seen....the Benelli chute works with little modification.

• 2 years later...