Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Precision Delta bullets?

rrflyer

Need to get some more bullets headed my way. Anybody tried the precision delta 180gn FN bullets in a SVI AET Barrel?

Currently using 180gn MG JHP's and 5.2 of n320.

I've shot a lot of PD 180gr FMJs, which are sort of a FN shape. They don't shoot quite as well in my guns as MG or Zeros do, but good enough. I have both STI and Schuemann AET barrels in .40 right now, and the PDs actually shoot a little better out of STI barrels, but that may just be a coincidence.'

I will say that they feed smoother than either MG FMJs or Zero JHPs, but it's not a world of difference.

PD has suffered some delays of late, so you may want to check with them to see before you order. I think I waited two months or so for the last order (9mm bullets). R,

Edited by G-ManBart

Currently using 180gn MG JHP's and 5.2 of n320.

Are you not happy with the quality of the Montana Gold bullets? If not, why are you looking to switch to PD?

I have not tried the 180gr PD bullets but I have recently switch my 9mm load and I have been using their 147gr bullets. I don't know if this is a common occurrence but I can tell you than in my very limited experience, the PD bullets have proven to be slightly less accurate than the 124gr Berry's I was using before.

I don't know if this is a common occurrence but I can tell you than in my very limited experience, the PD bullets have proven to be slightly less accurate than the 124gr Berry's I was using before.

That's more likely a weight issue than anything else...23gr is quite a bit of change and may require a higher velocity (relatively speaking) to stabilize equally. Very few people seem to find that plated bullets are more accurate than any decent jacketed bullet. I'd be interested to see if you got better accuracy with a similar weight PD bullet compared with the Berry's. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

That's more likely a weight issue than anything else...

Good point, I hadn't considered that. I chronoed 147gr bullets with 3.5gr to 4.0gr (in 0.1gr increments). I got the best accuracy (~3" at 25 yds from a bench) with 3.7gr of Solo 1000. All the other ones produced groups that were about 0.5" to 0.75" larger. When I arrived at 4.0gr, the primers were beginning to loose some of the "roundness" around the edge so I didn't want to go any higher.

I was getting a little bit over 2" groups with the Berry's and a tiny bit less than that with 135gr bare lead bullets. The lead bullets were certainly the most accurate of the bunch but I have gotten tired of the cleaning ritual.

Here is what I got with P.D 180"s and N320 OAL of 1.200

Gun Bullet Wt Pwder Wt Avg ES SD P.F. Gp size

Brazos P. Delta 180 N320 5.20 916 76 21 164.9 2.11 10 Shot 15 Yd

Brazos P. Delta 180 N320 4.80 869 70 24 156.4 2.04 10 shot group 15yds

Brazos P. Delta 180 N320 5.00 917 50 15 165.1 2.51 10 shot group 15yds

Brazos P. Delta 180 N320 3.70 720 129.6

I have been shooting Precision Delta's 40 caliber, 180 grain bullets for two years now. Never once waited more than a week for them to arrive. Now, the 9mm / 147 grain bullets are a different story. I have waited as long as 6 weeks for those suckers.

Dave