Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Mag Well

sgoddard

Just purchased a Wilson speed chute for my Springfield SS, noticed when I tried to install it that it doesn't go up far enough for the holes to line up for the pin- question is should I file some off of the mag well or the bottom of the magazine well to get it to fit. Another quick question is, on the mainspring housing you have a hole up towards the top, is there supposed to be some type of a retaining pin in there (mine did not have one)

I have the Wilson on my Kimber and it is TIGHT so I give a very gentle tap with a plastic mallet to push it that extra little bit it needs to line the holes up. I would not tap the MSH very hard at all. If it is too tight to fight with a gentle tap you may need to do additional fitting.

The other hole you mention sounds like the take down hole that allows you to remove the magwell from the main spring housing. If you put a tiny allen wrench in the hole you can unscrew the well. I believe that the appropriate sized wrench comes with the Speed Chute. [/ianagndipoot]

-ld

That hole should have a pin in it that captures the main spring. If it isn't there that would probably explain a good bit of the resistance you get when trying to install the MSH. I would steal one out of the old MSH or contact Wilson for a replacement.

-ld

ah ha. that explains it thanks. Should I put one in for the wilson?

Everything seems to go in fine except for the smallest amount of difference on the retaining pin holes not lining up. I can get the mainspring housing on fine but the chute just does not go up far enough to line up.