Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC Metric target life with buckshot ?

For those of you with experience of shotgun stages using buckshot fired at IPSC Metric targets, what is the typical target life ? I realize a lot depends on distance to the target, buckshot type etc.... for the sake of argument, lets assume 5-20 yards range using 9-pellet 00 buck.

closer than 15yds life is much shorter due to larger holes from pellets clumping together, beyond that it is the same as a pistol target so it simply depends on how many holes/tape get put onto it.

I'm happy with 20-30 competitors per target, beyond that you get into potential scoring problems. It is also a good idea to back the target with plywood especially if the target is closer than 12-15yds.

trapr

closer than 15yds life is much shorter due to larger holes from pellets clumping together, beyond that it is the same as a pistol target so it simply depends on how many holes/tape get put onto it.

I'm happy with 20-30 competitors per target, beyond that you get into potential scoring problems. It is also a good idea to back the target with plywood especially if the target is closer than 12-15yds.

trapr

I tried using paper for buck shot in the first three gun I ever ran. I have never tried it since because the paper did not last long as you said at close range you are dealing with clumps of shot. It was also a scoring nightmare. How do you guys use paper with shot?

Pat

pat, generally best 2 on paper. thats why you limit the round to 9 pellet loads instead of 12. if you have any 20ga shooters the common load is 20 pellets of #3, at which point you can stick with best 2 or have them need best 4. I've done both but there are very few 20ga shooters.

trapr

trapr

Off topic a bit but I heard that if you double the targets (put two USPSA targets together) you make it easier to tell what is the wad hit when you use slugs at close range. Is this true?

Pat

Thanks Trapr and everyone. I will use plywood backers in the future. At the match on 9-11-10 I used paper at 50 yards (2 targets with a hostage between them) and I put 5 bowling pins on a table at 15 yards for reactive slug targets. It worked well. I got the idea for bowling pins with slugs from a side match I shot in Kenai. It was fun to see those pins fly and I had plenty of pins on hand for when the pins got toasted.

Pat