Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where Do Yall Mount Your Red Dots On Your Ar?

kdmoore

Just got a JP TA01 ACOG to replace the Leupold 3-9x Vari-X I had been running on my CTR-02 upper and all I can say is WOW! The field of view through this baby is awesome and the fixed 4x magnification is perfect in conjunction with the JPoint red dot I have on the handguard.

I had been toying with the idea of going to a low powered variable only, but liked the no magnification dot on the handguard so much for short course work that I decided the trajectory mapped reticle, generous eye relief, wide field of view, and fixed 4x magnification of the JP ACOG would work better for my style of shooting.

The JP ACOG reticle is a lot cleaner than any previous ACOG I had looked through. I thought my Leupold Vari-X III was a nice piece of glass to look at targets through, but the ACOG is so crisp and clear that I feel as though I can reach through the scope and actually touch the targets.

I am sold on the fixed medium variable, & no magnification dot on the handguard dual sight setup. The transition between them is virtually nothing, almost reflexive. The magnification is right there when needed with no adjustment required, and the red dot rocks on fast stuff.

I was faced with an MGM PRT (precision rifle target) at 35 yards right in the middle of a up-close run-n-gun paper hoser rifle stage last Saturday. The dot rocked on everything from point blank to 20 yard paper targets, but when it came time to deal with the PRT, I kissed the ground, planted the magazine in mono-pod mode, swiveled the 4x crosshair across the four scoring points on the PRT in a Z pattern and was off and running before the last door on the PRT and the RO's jaw had stopped flapping (I dropped prone so fast he almost ran right over me) :P Everyone else just stood there and missed repeatedly offhand :rolleyes:

I know that I could have sucessfully engaged the PRT with a 1x or 1.5x, but I also know that "I" would not have been able to shoot the PRT as fast as I did without a bit more magnification than that.

A no magnification red dot alone however, is an accident waiting to happen on a 3 gun rifle. Sooner or later, you are gonna have to deal with something small at a good distance, and Bam! you are a goner as far as that stage is concerned :ph34r:

--

Regards,

I just found a 1-piece armalite mount for my 1.5-4X scope. I'm hoping that will elevate it enough for me. It's supposed to put the center of the scope a touch lower than iron level (.15 inch is what I've read).

After I get a chance to put it thru some paces I'll report back.

Will be using the leupold 1.5x-5x. I use this scope almost alwats except when there is a rule on scope use, then I use the ACOG, TAO1, 4x.

Okay! That explains everything!

MY Leupold only goes from 1-4X ... that less than Tony's!

No wonder he beats me every time! :P:lol:

On serious note, what mount/rings do you use, Mr. H?

I have the JP ACOG on my new (not yet fired) CTR-02, and noticed the holes in the upper allow the ACOG to be mounted in one of three positions. I can position myself to see the crosshairs with the scope in each of the three positions, but am not sure how to tell which one is "best" (the ACOG does not appear to have a lot of eye relief, but it sure is crisp except for the right part of the crosshairs, which ACOG explains in the instructions - something to do with the focal plane presented to the shooter and not a scoppe). Any thoughts on the best position?

Hi Rob,

Stick the tip of your nose on the charging handle like ya would with irons, and then mount it where the eye relief is best with the head in that position (it will probably be the forwardmost position). I use the middle position because I have a butt plate extender on my rifle and the extra pull length makes that the best for me.

The JP ACOG and the CTR-02 seriously rock! You will really enjoy the combo. I also recommend a J-Point, or the new JP iron sights mounted on the CTR-02 handguard for close work. The fixed 4x ACOG will do you fine on the long stuff, but the dot, or the irons on the handguard will rule the roost in close.

BTW, I consider the ACOG to have a whole lot of eye relief in comparison to most anything else except maybe a scout scope :P

What are ya gonna feed that baby? A nice healthy diet of SMK's in the 69, or 77 grain variety work well if you have the JP 1:8 20" bbl.

Here is some loading info for this combo that John Paul told me he uses:

"The reticle is designed for 2700 FPS @ 2000 feet altitude.  You can get an honest 2700 out of the 77s in a 20" barrel with Varget.  My load is 25.5gr, which I then also use for the 69s. The 77 is loaded 2.260" max OAL."

--

Regards