Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

High Power 9mm

rhyrlik

Rhyrlik,

AA7 under a 147 is a fine thing at 1.145" OAL, no pressure sign, but definitely a muzzle flipper with my ported 17L. It's a softer load in comparison to the 124gr load with 540 I am using now but gave me a lot of muzzle flip because the gas pressure was way too low to work the ports well.

I got major (back when it was 175PF) with a 147 in my 17L (no ports) with 7.8gr of AA7. As I mentioned earlier, I couldn't get more than 9.0 of AA7 into a case under a 124. My estimation is that it will take at least 9.5, if not closer to 10 gr of AA7 to get a 124 to major in 9x

--

Regards,

• 4 months later...

Just shot these out of my shorty open nine:

WSR Primers

Montana Gold 124 CMJ

7.7gr Ramshot Silhouette OAL 1.200

ES= 18 PF=168.7

No signs of pressure, very accurate, works the comp nicely

I use VV powders and have done a lot of experimentation in 38 special,40S&W,9 supercomp,and 9mm.

During all of this testing there was one thing that became obviously clear and that is while working up any of the loads they would only gain a couple of feet per 2 tenths until they hit there sweet spot and then there would be a major jump in FPS over the chrono. Understanding this has made it a lot easier to develop loads with VV powders.

As we all know we rarely use anything close to what they publish and for good reason. They have to worry about LIABILITY and that has to understood that they establish that at the level of a moron first time reloader.

3N38 and N105, I have found that it is nearly impossible to get enough of this powder in a 9mm case and compress it and have any pressure problems. I use Federal small rifle primers which help as they have a cooler ignition than pistol primers.

I used to load 147gr Remington JHP's in 9supercomp for a pin load and was using 9.8 grs of N105 which was making a 190 plus PF out of a ported STI.

I currently am shooting 9mm Major out of a shorty race gun with 115gr FMJ's and 3n37 powder and it works great! I think that you will be able to find that magic spot with 3N38 and the 147gr bullet, the only thing that might prevent it is your limited OAL that will work in your mag. By the way I am using 8.4grs at 1.155 OAL which is almost 2grs over the latest VV manual max. loading for a 115

OK I'm new here, so you guys are talking about making major with 9X19 otherwise known as 9 mm Luger. I shoot a Browning Hi-Power in limited and am experimenting with VV 3n37 with 147 gr plated bullets (I will be when the powder arives, as my dealer is haveing to drive to pick it up). I know that I will not be given major in limited but my hope is to make steel a bit easier to pick up. I shoot at a couple of different clubs, and sometimes the popers are set alittle stiff at both clubs.