Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

High Def Digital Microscope

CSEMARTIN

My buddy is a machinist and uses this microscope to examine his cutting tools before using them.

I am going to switch from my pocket microscope to this digital one to check hammer/sear engagement.

I don't remember how exactly to focus it, but I do remember it being extremely easy to use. It's been a month since I played with it, and I haven't got around to ordering one for myself.

I'm not a gunsmith, so I can't comment on how well this camera will work for that type of work. However, I have this exact microscope at work. I use it at my desk to take pictures of printer output and print defects (I design printers). The color and brightness are pretty good, and very consistent when capturing images for future examination.

However, it is kinda hard to use for one simple reason. It is diffucult to 'orient'. If you don't hold it properly oriented, the picture on the screen do not move in the same direction as your hand movement. If you try to move right, the image moves left (or up, or down, or angled). The natural feedback system that our brain is used to doesn't know how to easily deal with the mixed signals. Moving quickly to an exact spot can be very difficult, and scanning around an object, inspecting several surfaces or areas is freekin impossible. If you teach your hand to hold the microscope correctly, it becomes much easier, but is still not perfect.

It does come with a small stand with ball-socket elbows. It can fix some of the 'oriention' issues, but is pretty small and doesn't always hold the camera straight enough to keep the object in focus.

Personally, I only use it when I need to quickly capture an image and send it to coworkers. For more detailed inspection or even quick and casual viewing, I prefer an eye loop. I have one that is made for examining flat surfaces, so it is easy to put the loop on the paper, and then just lean over the table for a minute or two. If I need to spend a lot of time inspecting stuff, I move to the Leica with multiple magnifications and built in camera.

To answer the focus question, there is a knob (grey part, indented, seen in the picture) that is large and easy to turn. Generally, I set my focus for the edge of the clear plastic guard. This makes it easy to use, since I just hold the microscope square and flat on the surface, and it is already in focus. This helps me steady my hand too. If you have a 3D object, you'll have to move the focus, or the camera. However, the farther away you get from the camera, the less light and grainer the image.

My gut feeling is that it would be cool to play with, but I'd much rather grab an eye loop for serious work.

Edited by Jeff686

My buddy is a machinist and uses this microscope to examine his cutting tools before using them.

I am going to switch from my pocket microscope to this digital one to check hammer/sear engagement.

I don't remember how exactly to focus it, but I do remember it being extremely easy to use. It's been a month since I played with it, and I haven't got around to ordering one for myself.

At 200X magnification I think you're going to have problems looking at hammer/sear engagement. I tried a 100X hand held magnifier and played hell trying to hold it steady and at a certain distance that gave a clear picture of the sear/hammer combo. Next I ordered up a Yavapi 25X magnifier from Brownells. Expensive but worked much better due to the lower magnification and the magnifier held on a base for steadiness. Looking at the locating pins I saw that they were not parallel in the base so back it went. Finally ordered a 25X Edmond Optical pocket magnifier($13.00) and built a base for it for steadiness. Brownells sells an adjustable hammer/sear pin block that I use to hold the H/S under the magnifier.With this combo I can easily see any mismatch in angles. I have found that starting with a good quality hammer and then matching the sear angle to the hammer hooks gives an outstanding result. :cheers:

Pat

hi,

on my opinion, this is right that a X20 or X25 magnifier is largely enough

as Pat did, I bought the Edmond Optics X25 from Brownells and you really need to make it steady with a support otherwise you are getting a headake while trying to inspect your sear and hammer surfaces... as said Jeff686, what you see is moving at the opposite side of your own moving : it is confusing and it takes rather a long time to focus :blink: ..

finally, a good eye loop is much more usefull and healthy for you don't need any aspirin nor medication for nerves crack !

a good eye loop is much more usefull

I have a pair of custom fit surgical telescopes and find a microscope better for the quality of work I'm trying to attain.

I find that microscope is usefull for the really last checking of your work...

what your surgical telescopes looks like ?

wow ! :huh:

if your last reply is aimed to me, well I 'm sorry to have disturb this post, you know this is just a discussion and an idea brings to another idea...

may be you're right let stay on the initial subject

sorry again and above all let's stay kind :cheers: