Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

looking forr training in San Antonio

Hi guys, here is the deal. I got a daughter in the Air Force at Lackland and she is questioning me about handguns. I am embarrassed to say that I did not ever shoot with her. Sports and friends ruled her formative years and she didn't want to learn about handguns and I did not push it. Now it appears she does. I need a contact that can help her out and show her the ropes so to speak. Maybe even take her to a couple of matches to ensure she is safe and competent. Any suggestions? I would think a Master or Grand Master in the San Antonio area could be of help. Right now she has nothing, no gun or equipment.

Liota Wakal here on the Forums is a AF Master Sergeant stationed at Lackland. I'll bet she can hook your daughter up with a good local trainer with the right credentials.... Her husband is also a very good shooter and, I am sure, would help her out by letting her try some various pieces......

Liota Wakal here on the Forums is a AF Master Sergeant stationed at Lackland. I'll bet she can hook your daughter up with a good local trainer with the right credentials.... Her husband is also a very good shooter and, I am sure, would help her out by letting her try some various pieces......

Thanks Merlin, you know what she goes by on the forums, I can't find her by her name?

Ted Bonnet here in San Antonio does hand gun training as well as CHL. He won a few World Shoots etc and he is an all round nice guy Limited GM. Just have her go to http://www.americanactionshooting.com and the contact info is there which includes his cell phone number.

He flies MediVac so is often off during the week and can do classes at all the Ranges in the Area.

If she wants to come out to a match, a steel match might be just the ticket for her first one. She could shoot rimfire and not have to worry about drawing from a holster. Also, there's little movement in steel. There should be a steel match this Sunday and next Saturday at the Cedar Ridge range in Bulverde. I'm pretty sure my daughter and I will be at both....that is, if she doesn't get any more sick than she's feeling tonight.

If/when she wants to take some formal training, have her get in touch with Karl at KRTraining.com. He's a great instructor!

You could tell her to look up "Wakal, Liota" on the global at work...we bring fellow military folks out to Stately Wakal Manor regularly, and have a range behind the shop with most of the good stuff up to and including Texas Stars. Liota doesn't get on the BEForum much these days. Plenty of guns to borrow, and Liota is also a multi-rated instructor with a lot more patience (and pleasant personality) than I have :)

Alex

Bagram

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help. I am not sure what she is wanting to do. I don't think she wants to compete. I think she wants to purchase a hand gun for protection(lives alone) and wants to be confident/competent using it. I knew this community would help, thanks all!