Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bul M-5 Ipsc Model

Rosshooting

Overhere (in Holland) a few are in use. I don't have firsthand experience with them. That being said I have not heard any negative comments from the users. The grip is a little different than the usual 1911 bigframes, you should try it for yourself and look whether it suits you.

Saul Kirsch, Israelean Champion and toplevel IPSC shooter worldwide, is representative for Bul and also shoots Bul guns in competition. He has a pretty good performance with those guns - if that means anything to you :P

It ain't the gun but the shooter, Saul is awesome. Back tot he topic however, it is a good gun. Yes it is light ( there is a little bit more perceive recoil/ flip) and here in the U S we have to Pre ban Para mags or STI mags with the right mag release button. I have had my Bul IPSC since 99 I think, could not remeber which year but it has been reliable and durable. I was fortunate enough to have belonged to Club who had a shooter who was sponsored by Bul a couple of years ago. I am not in anyway connected to BUL , I am just a satiafied customer.

• 1 month later...

I'd class them as a cut above Para-Ordnance and a bit below a custom built STI 2011.

A couple of guys in my club had them in .45 and .40, our section Chief RO used one, the South Australian State Section Co-Ordinator used them and I had one with a custom cut frame to suit my ex girlfriends hand.

Due to the banning of calibres above .38 for IPSC here in OZ, they all where turned in for destruction.

I've ordered a new one, the NSW Chief RO has ordered a new one, the South OZ section Co-Ordinator has ordered a new one, one of the guys who helped run in my Gfs gun ordered a new one, of the shooters who didn't, one bought a Glock and went into Production and the other bought a STI trojan. He liked his Bul but wanted a Single Stack.

I should have my .38 Super IPSC model in a fortnight.

From watching them in use, they are less prone to breakage than Para Ordnance, in fact I've never seen one break, some of these guns had well over 15000 rounds through them.

Reliability is excellent, my GFs had a very tight chamber that needed reaming before it would function correctly. After that it ran perfectly through several hundred rounds before being banned.

Ken

On the magazine issue, current manufacture Bul M5s (these do not have the 'hooked' trigger guard) accept STI magazines without modification.

Old style Bul frames will not accept STI magazines, but can use Para Mags when fitted with a Rescomp aftermarket magazine catch.

Bul make their own proprietary Hi-cap magazines. They don't make 10 round magazines in .38 super, I'm not sure if they do them in other calibres. Australian shooters are being supplied with STI magazines,these have been tested in 9mm and work fine.

If you live in the USA Brownells used to offer hi cap magazines for the Kimber polymer frame guns, these whereassembled on Bul frames, so you may be able to pick up factory hicaps for a reasonable price.

Ken

I've had a couple of people ask about pricing. I haven't done an intensive search but most of my distributors I've checked so far don't offer the new IPSC model yet. Anybody know who has them in the U.S.?

A friend of me ows a BUL M5 IPSC (standard type) and I think that is a very good gun.

He is able to shoot very tight groups,and in ipsc training it is a very reliable gun.

When you get used to it the gun dose the job the way a very expensive gun would do.

When I had to start over again I would have bought one.I believe it is a good gun.

Joseph,

Name the guy; Hans Tourne, he won the try-out of the Dutch Open 1997 with a Bul .40S&W Standard gun. (A BUL fits Hans and vs.)

Both you and Hans are awesome shooters when talking Standard Class. (esp. over here in the Netherlands) Each week in training, I learn a lot, looking and shooting with the both of you!! ;)

But, according to your own words, in the end: it's not the gun, but it's the owner! :)

Sometimes it leaves me frustated concerning my performance compared to yours <_<

DVC, Henny.

Chris, the IPSC model is a little over priced by Charles Daly. I had talked to Saul over a year ago about these guns. He stated that the IPSC model should retail for about $1000 here in the US. Dealers cost is a little over $1,100 for the IPSC model. The model to get is the .40 Gov't . Dealer cost is $541.

I am still waiting on one of these. There is a line from that "You might be a gun nut" list that says "You might be a gun nut if you have mags for a gun you don't own." Well I am guilty as I have four like new SVI .40 mags waiting for a gun.

If I could buy Cy's STI for $500 then I would have a gun.

BTW SVI mags will work in the older models if you whittle the inside of the frame a bit. I saw one of the older models that had the modification done at one of the Cherokee matches.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up my .38 super Bul M5 IPSC model last week, it's had around 100 rounds through it so far of PMC plus P 115 grain JHP. No jams, even with a limp wrist.

The STI 10 round mags supplied with it have been ground slightly on the rear wall to ensure function, but do not drop out cleanly. All 5 mags functioned well, the bull barrel seems to reduce muzzle flip over my old standard barrel gun, and the gun is quite comfortable to shoot. Accuracy seems acceptable. I ran a stage after yesterdays match and I'm pretty sure I halved my time on the splits compared to my Glock.

I'll give this one a thumbs up, it's a keeper.

Cost around $2200 Aussie. A comparable STI would be $3300.00

Ken