Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hello All!

AeroHudson

Hey everyone!

I have been lurking on these forums for a week or so and decided to join. I have decided to pick up a hand gun and eventually give practical shooting a shot at one of my local gun clubs. I am a hunter and own shotguns and rifles but have never picked up a hand gun. I have my eye on Glocks but have a question on whether I should jump straight to the 34 or start with the 17?

Welcome to the forums! As for 34vs17, many will say it makes no difference. I have a 34 as do many production division shooters, and love it. The way I see it, a longer sight radius can't hurt. You will get lots of opinions on the subject, however.

Fixed sights have worked for me on my 34. I put aftermarket Sevigney competition w/ fiber optic front on it. I was able to drift the rear sight just a little to bring everything in line. BUT, some have had problems doing that and they swear by adjustables. For my situation it does not make sense to have adjustable sights that I will rarely adjust. There are screws that can come loose on adjustables that you need to check once in awhile.

Only difference between the 2 is barrel length. Alot of Practical shooters like a longer barrel for accuracy and recoil control (i shoot a sprinfield xd9 tactical). Have you tried the 2 out? Best thing to do is try both out and see what feels great and what you have best control over.

I was looking at the G34 and xd9 and i really compared them. I shot one mag of G34 and right away a mag of the xd9 and really try to get a feel and difference. For me the xd9 fit me better. I'll probably end up with a glock some point in my life but for now i'm a xd boy lol. Whatever you decide on you will love the sport! Welcome

Thank you all for the feedback!

I have not shot either as of yet. I located an indoor range / gun shop where you can rent various pistol models that I will check out soon. I plan on buying a pistol probably in the next 2 or 3 months so I have plenty of time to research, try some out and in the end be selective. Thanks again everyone!

• 4 weeks later...

I am by no means an expert, but I own/have owned about 14 Glocks and loved them all. I whole heartedly agree with Sarge on the Sevigney Competition sights with the black rear and the fiber optic front. I was one of those guys that thought that I didn't need a fiber optic until I shot one. The next day I ordered one and I love it. If you are only going to get one Glock, get the 34, but this sport is addictive in nature.