Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 27 .40 cal (Baby Glock)

MARKAVELI

I have had my glock 27 40cal for 10+ years and am thinking to make some modifications;

1.) Barrel, but if I was to change my barrel to an after market say Star or wolf barrels would that increase accuracy? What if I was to use a ported barrel would that work also? I know it also is the shooter that makes the difference but wanted to get in competition with what I got. I do my own reloading (dillon550) would I have to get a grx or u die barrel? Or would my dillon dies work if I was to upgrade barrels?

2.) trigger pull from standard 5lb to 3.5lb. Would that also increase accuracy and speed? And would this be safe like an accidental discharge say if it was to drop on the floor or if I was racking out rounds to check my loads?

3.) Mag release & slide extensions, would that increase my speed and not change accuracy? I never shot competition and fairly new to reloading ! Thanks in advance...

Edited by MARKAVELI

I can appreciate your desire to run what you have but that tiny glock is gonna kick your butt all over the match. Rather than spend that kind of money on your sentimental gun when the upgrades aren't going to make it nearly as user friendly as a stock 34/35.

I would recommend that you search around a little and get a used 17/22 or even better 34/35 and run it stock. If you like competing upgrade the gun that's better suited for what we do in matches.

The trigger job and sights are a requirement to improve speed and accuracy in my opinion. A magwell is definitely faster in the divisions that allow it. You don't need a new barrel. The stock barrels are very accurate but you can gain some accuracy from the aftermarket stuff. You won't see it unless your really good one the trigger though.

Again, my standard comment......Pimping it out, eh? Marki, the barrel might help, the trigger would help, as far as mag release, it would help with your reloads, but it wouldn't be legal for production division, nor would any slide modifications. Dropping the Glock is not an issue, even with trigger work. I've never heard of one going off from dropping. The G27 is perfect for what it was made for, but other than that, it is not well suited for any type of competition. My advice, if you like the Glock platform, is to get a G17, G34, or G35....

Changing the barrel probably won't make it any more accurate, but might make for brass that's easier to reload. A ported barrel will put you in Open, so you definitely don't want to do that. The 3.5 (now 4#) trigger will make the gun more accurate, but will make it slightly easier to shoot accurately...it won't harm safety in any way.

The big problem is that it's a 10rd gun, which is difficult to reload (I have one), and it won't really be competitive in Production, Limited, or Limited-10. I guess you could shoot it with G23 mags with 10 in them, but that's not a very comfortable setup (I've tried it), and sometimes aren't completely reliable.

You definitely don't want the extended slide stop lever...most folks seem to have issues with the slide locking back prematurely using them. R,

I agree with the above... Keep your 27 stock, as a carry gun. Save your nickels and buy a full-size gun for gaming. A bone-stock full-size G22 will run 10X better than a modded out G27 every time... For Production, get a used G17... There are tons out there. Just go on one of the Glock forums. Someone will be looking to off-load one for a shiny new Gen-4 Glock...

Jeff

Keep the Glock 27 as is. You have shot it enough to smooth out the trigger and you don't want a low poundage trigger on a small carry gun.

Since you already load .40, check around and find a used Glock 22 and upgrade it a bit. A KKM barrel and a Vanek Classic trigger and you are ready to go in Limited or Limited 10. Use the stock barrel, get a 14 lb recoil spring and load your ammo down to about a 140 - 145 PF and shoot Production 40 minor - it's like cheating.

Thanks fellas, I guess I gotta pick up a new toy or two! I am doing some research on the Glock 22RTF, I like to be able use this as my duty weapon would that be a not so good idea? Who is going to know?! But I don't wanna to discriminate the XD! Since I already got a couple glock's! As for my 27 ill just use it just to get my feet wet when I go to a match to watch all the shooters and get pointers from em!