Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AA #9 in 38 Super Comp 115gr

CocoBolo

I was talking to an old timer the other day and he said that 13 grains (thirteen) of AA#9 behind a 115gr is a great open gun load.

Anyone tried it or using it?

Edited to add: I searched found nada.

Edited by CocoBolo

I have not tried AA9... well, not in race gun stuff... shot some in .357 Mag with heavy bullets, but...

I was under the impression that one couldn't get enough AA9 in a case to make Major? If someone has some laying around, see how much will fit, and let us know... :lol:

I Don't have a 38 super open gun but I have seen many 357 sig loads listed in that charge range or higher and I believe the loaded case capacity is similar so it should fit in the case I just don't know how the comp would work or if all the powder will be burned.

Mike

You can get enough in there not sure about with a 115. with a 130 yes.

used to use H-108, it's a little slower than AA9. (no longer available)

also can get just enough WW296 to run.

i think a 115 is pushing it with these powders to have room.

i remember trying to get 115's to run with the H-108 and could do it

with the dished base 115FMJ but that bullet just don't shoot.

I used it in 38 super with 130's way back when I have lost my load data but could make major back when it was 175 and we loaded to 182.

The accurate loading Manuel puts it at about 13 grains but is compressed load I am thinking about trying it, because with n350 I get more flip at 174 than I get at 184 with HS6 same weight bullet.

#9 is a slower powder and should produce more gas and thus less muzzle flip, if my memory serves me well it shoot accurately at that time.