Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle Case Trimming

rsgirdner

Several questions. First, does the rt1200 trimmer chamfer and debur? Or do you have to do this by hand later?

Is this a good sequence - first tumble, then lube, set up 550b press with sizing die in station one, decap and size in station one, set up trimmer and die in station 3, trim in station 3, take brass and re-tumble, set up press with station one open, powder in station two, bullet seat in three, and crimp in station 4?

If you feel you need it, you'll do it later.

I'd suggest you try some without it see if it runs, do some with it .. see if there's any difference to you.

Some people swear by chamfering, for me there wasn't a heap of diffeence..

When you tumble the lube off (good lube, not one shot), it breaks off any burrs.

I'd only add put a neck only sizer or a universal decapping die on the load step. It'll ensure you get any media out of the flash hole. I like to use a neck die, just so the case mouth is expanded (which wasn't done after the trim die). But, that's personal preference.

The only time that I have seen that chamfering was really necessary was when loading flat based bullets. If you are loading a boat tail design it should not be needed. I go along with BerKim on every thing else.

Brian

Edited by Too_Slow

I, too, have a neck sizing die with a decapping pin in station 1 of the 2nd pass through the 550.

I also run all of the brass through a swager after the first pass through the 550 and before I tumble to remove the lube.

I do basically the same thing. As to the chamfer and debur, I check them as I am running them through the swager. Out of about 800 shells I processed one weekend, I only found a few that needed it and most of them were kind of crummy anyway and went into the brass bucket.