Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40SW Question

HI.......New guy here

I need to buy some more bullets...last batch was 180g FMJs...

When choosing a bullet weight IE 165g vs 180g vs 155g etc etc what should I consider for making my choice?

What are the differences ?

Do they shoot different ?

I have no clue........can you fellas shed some light on it for me

What are you planning on using them for?

If you're using them for USPSA type matches, stick with the 180s for a while (if it's a non-compensated gun). 180 is the most common weight used for .40 in both Major and Minor for a reason...it's a nice compromise weight that isn't so heavy that it prevents you from using faster powders (which help keep it soft feeling). Lighter bullets will be a bit snappier, heavier bullets will be a bit softer feeling.

Every gun is it's own rule, and sometimes the bullet or weight you want to use, won't be as accurate as you'd like in your gun.

If you're using them for USPSA type matches, stick with the 180s for a while (if it's a non-compensated gun). 180 is the most common weight used for .40 in both Major and Minor for a reason...it's a nice compromise weight that isn't so heavy that it prevents you from using faster powders (which help keep it soft feeling). Lighter bullets will be a bit snappier, heavier bullets will be a bit softer feeling.

Every gun is it's own rule, and sometimes the bullet or weight you want to use, won't be as accurate as you'd like in your gun.

180 is what I used,just targets no competitions or anything

I guess thats what Ill stick with........Seems to be the popular vote

180 is what I used,just targets no competitions or anything

I guess thats what Ill stick with........Seems to be the popular vote

It it us just "shooting", I would still go with 180's. As G-MAN says they provide a nice compromise, with a wide range of powders available to drive them, lots of manufacturers making that weight in jacketed, lead or coated, and it is comfortable to shoot.

Mark K.

180's are a very good choice, should run well with VV N320 or Win WST. Jacleted or lead your choice.

We tried some 200gr plated and didn't like the feel or accuracy.

Mildot

I have some Unique and Longshot for powder.....Tried them both

Longshot seems to be a little hotter judging by the flames shooting

out of my Glock :)

For practice, etc. I have always used 180 gr. and prefer jacketed in my G23. I've shot factory FMJ in 155 and 165, but I prefer the heavier bullet. For some time I've been using Precision Delta because their product is very cost competitive.

For practice, etc. I have always used 180 gr. and prefer jacketed in my G23. I've shot factory FMJ in 155 and 165, but I prefer the heavier bullet. For some time I've been using Precision Delta because their product is very cost competitive.

bought 2K bullets from them today......We are good to go .......

For powders, look into Alliant Power Pistol, cheap, clean, and easy to work with.

For powders, look into Alliant Power Pistol, cheap, clean, and easy to work with.

+ 1 on Senior Gumpy, I like the 180gr cause I get a better accurate loads then I do with 155gr. Loads, and 155gr bullet is a bit snappy! Alliant is cheaper, I seen it at cabelas for 17.99 a Lb.... Good luck finding the right load data, oh ya read your Manuals, as many as you can find read em! Be safe....