Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting guns and ammo to match

I'm planning on going to the R and R 3 gun match next July in Oregon, combining it with a family vacation. Wanted to know what travelers think of shipping my guns and ammo from one FFL on my end to another in Oregon.

I have family out there and am sure I would be connected with an FFL out there who would be trusted.

Flying with three girls and their grandmother is enough hassle these days, but add to it having to check several guns and enough ammo just seems daunting to me.

I've never flown before with guns and the whole process looks like a giant pain in the butt.

Would appreciate any and all comments on the subject as well as any tips or reservations about my plan

Thanks.....Teemch5

I would call the ATF if I where you. For some reason I thought that you could ship if you shipped them to yourself? I called the ATF one time and they showed me where I could ship a pistol in state legally without an FFL. They even went through the law with me and showed me where to do it. The thing that he did say is that most carriers (UPS) won't allow you to send if the receiving party was not and FFL. I got his full name and number and documented our conversation. I then went to a UPS shipping hub (not one of these UPS drop off places), told and showed them the ATF doc and showed them their policy which said that they comply with the law and they shipped. I know you are shipping between states but I would start with the ATF. The downside is that when shipping a pistol UPS requires next day air or something and it is like $50.

I wouldn't call a "big city office". I called a big city office and left a message and they never returned my call. I called a small office, got a person immediately and he was extremely helpful.