Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lower recoil .223 loads?

strat81

I have noticed less felt recoil using RL7 w/ 55gr FMJ versus H335. The load I settled on, IIRC, was 20.5 gr of RL7, seated and crimped at the cannelure with a CCI small rifle primer and mixed brass. This compares to most of the H335 loads I use that hover around 24 gr of powder.

The difference in recoil at the shoulder wasn't much. To be more accurate, I noticed less muzzle jump and less disruption of my sight picture. Accuracy was on par with my better H335 loads

Has anyone else noticed this with other loads? Does anyone use a certain load specifically for its recoil characteristics?

The rifle was a Stag 3, 16", 1/9" twist, BCM bolt, YHM 5C2, standard carbine buffer, topped with an Aimpoint ML3. When I finally find a brake I can live with (even the Miculek felt like I had been kicked in the head), should I be concerned about having enough gas for the brake/comp to work effectively?

Reloader 7 is definitely really soft but it's also really expensive.

I got it to run so light that it was under-gassing one of my AR15s and even my HK53. :mellow:

I don't think that the load would fare well at long distances but I've never tried it.

Wouldn't be a bad idea for 3-gun hosing at close range though, I might give it another shot one day.

Edited by DyNo!

I haven't found a huge price difference compared to H335. If you stocked up on TAC when it was on sale, or like WC844 surplus powder, then there is probably a material price difference.

But, I'm using almost 20% less powder with RL7 versus H335 or AA2230. There's some $ savings right there.

I need a chrono to see what these loads are doing. I know that they aren't moving as fast as loads with the slower powders, plus 55gr is the max weight.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if a 45gr or 50gr bullet with RL7 would give a combination of flatter trajectory AND lower recoil. They'd be more susceptible to wind drift though. Hmmm.

I remember I was pushing stupid low FPS out of my AR - I'll load some more up for shits and giggles to test and I might even load a batch to take to an upcoming 3-gun match.

For shooting at close targets, you might be onto something.

Edited by DyNo!

• 1 month later...

I shot it yesterday with irons and and it was holding groups at an inch plus at 50. Very low recoil compared to my 69 grain SMK load that day.

I didn't shoot it at 100 because if the shot is longer than 50, there isn't any significant benefit to using that load and I'd rather shoot something more accurate anyway since shots at and over that distance are more likely to be reduced size, steel, or partial targets.

I will be taking this load to the Mississippi 3 gun along with 69 grain SMKs for anything over 50 yards.

I'm reasonably certain that 20.5 grains does not make minor power factor even if fired through a 20" AR-15.

It will be fine for outlaw matches though.

Edited by DyNo!

• 1 month later...

Ran it again in a recent competition.

Runs soft with a JP comp compared to hotter loads. The recoil impulse is soft but very long like that of a 125PF 147gr 9mm load.

In 2011 I'll be using this load exclusively for shots at 50 and under in matches without a power factor. I'll be ordering 5 lbs to load 1500 rounds shortly.

Are you guys running comps?

I've found my gun behaves better with a hotter load (55gr bullet at 3050 fps) than with lighter loads and I don't have to worry about targets way out there.

Just wondering if I've been missing something.

I'm running a Battle Comp, and prior to that a 5C2 flash hider. Recoil with the RL7 loads was noticeably lower than my typical loads with H335 with both devices.

I also misspoke about the max weight - Sierra lists RL7 up to 63gr bullets.

Dyno, you have PM inbound.

Edited by strat81

• 2 months later...

FYI, Reloader 7 does not work well in the cold at all.

Even with a near maximum charge, my carbine and rifle length AR-15 will not cycle far back enough to pick up another round from the magazine. The same ammo from the batch functioned flawlessly when it was 80 degrees outside.

Looks like the 5lbs I bought will sit underneath my table until Summertime...

Interesting, I'm running 27.1gr BLC(2) with 55gr HNY FMJBT sub moa at 100 yd, and there just isn't any recoil or flip the gun doesn't move. I'm running a Sabre Comp and JP LMOS bolt and buffer. My old gun a Bushmaster had a tiny bit of recoil like a 22 LR, Miculek Comp std bolt.

I didn't think TAC was expensive paid $114 for 8# jug here locally today, and for comparison 8# of HS6 was the same price. So where is this cheap powder?

Edited by CocoBolo

Downloading for recoil reduction is fine as long as you make the minimum power factor for rifle competition (150 for minor). Make sure to chrono these mouse-phart .223 loads to make sure you aren't "cheating" the required power factor ;)

Downloading for recoil reduction is fine as long as you make the minimum power factor for rifle competition (150 for minor). Make sure to chrono these mouse-phart .223 loads to make sure you aren't "cheating" the required power factor ;)

Or shoot outlaw. :D