Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 Fiber Optic front sight selection

raf1

I'm a new Glock 34 owner. I am considering the Dawson Precision fiber optic sight set (017-012 Rear sight and either the 019-009 or 019-010 front). Both front sights are .300" tall but differ in widths, .100" versus .125". Not knowing what the front sight gap width is in the rear sight, I'm concerned that the .100" front sight will be too narrow to fill the rear sight gap. Would the .125" front sight be the appropriate sight or is this just a personal preference issue? I'm concerned that too much "air" on the sides of the front sight when centered in the rear sight might be problematic for me. I sure someone out there has made similar decisions in the past and I appreciate any comments. Thanks. Raf

I think it is definitely a matter of personal preference.

I like large light bars on both sides of the front post in my sight picture. For that reason I went with the DP .100" front sight and Heinie rear on my G34 and G35. But if you are used a sight picture with little light bars, I would go with the .125".

You should give DP a call and ask what the rear notch is cut at too. Then we could better direct you to the better FS width.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Edited by soundwave

A "tight" fit of the FS in the rear notch (minimal light bars on either side) gives you the most precise alignment, but is slower than having a generous amount of light on both sides, though the latter is less precise. The first will be best for a very small or distant scoring area on the target, the second is good on closer in shots because you can get a satisfactory if not perfect sight picture quickly.

For IPSC and IDPA style action shooting, most targets are fairly close (under, and some times considerable under, 20 yards) with generous availble maximum scoring surfaces (~6x11 inches in the case of the USPSA metric target), so most shooters pick sights that allow quick sight pictures for close in, and take extra care on the occasional long shots to get the narrow FS aligned in the wide rear as carefully as necessary.

I started with the .125 fiber front sight from Dawson and did ok with it but the rear notch on the Dawson adjustable isn't super wide so there wasn't much light on either side of the blade. Most of my other factory type guns were this way so I figured it couldn't hurt. After a couple of months I started wondering if maybe I was missing something and could speed up a little by getting the .100 sight so I ordered it and I am glad I did. I can still shoot a tight group when I need to but at speed I find it easier to get things lined up in a hurry.