Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optics

uno5885

Forgot to add that i am using an aimpoint 2 moa optic for now; because that's just what i had prior to trying out 3 gun. i recenlty added a hensoldt magnifier on a larue flip mount to help me with longer distances. i don't know where i will end up later, but i am going to run with this setup for a while.

First... pick a budget.

You can buy AR optics everywhere from $30, to $1400...

I own a Millet DMS 1-4X24 for matches with shots over 100 yards (<$300 inc mount).

I run a EoTech 512 ($325) currently, as all my matches are inside 25yards with occasional 50% targets.

Jeff

the only optic i have looked at on that specification list is the trijicon accupoint. i was thoroughly impressed by it. larue has a package that makes this option good bang for the buck.

I 'lucked' into a leupold CQ-4 at a great used price for a barely used optic, and I have been really happy with it, the short, hose em stages leave it on low, both eyes open and away you go, forthe longer stuff turn it up to 3x and Ive been able to accurately engage 8 inch plates all the way out to 325 yrds

yes, the CQ-4 is a 3x at its highest end, and i dont feel under scoped with it at all, 2 inches at 200 yrds are the groups im shootin with it, and it got knocked to the ground out of a rack at a match and still held zero, I'm really happy with it, notthe clown who banged into it tho...

Get a TR 24 and sell the Burris. Currently the best scope for 3Gun. Outstandingly clear glass and clean reticle. Any of the red dots can be used to hit targets at 300 and 400 yds. but it's slow. You have to use more information than is in your scope-tree, bush, shimmer, etc to get on target. The key to 3 Gun is speed. So with the Trijicon you can keep both eyes open most of the time, on long targets lift your head slightly to see target over the top and acquire quickly. That said-there are all kinds of skill levels and every stage can be different. Watching Benny Cooley hose down the sniper stage at the Larue 3Gun this year with his large scope and 350 yd zero was really unbelievable and a revelation.He has that mastered to a real fine art. You are looking for a happy medium here.

Thanks for the info on the AccuPoint, I will check it out. What color reticle is everyone going with. I know some of ACOG tubes can make the reticles too bright when its real bright out.

Edited by uno5885

I have used different optics in the past and rank them in the following order:

1. S&B 1.1-4X Short Dot with CQB reticle

5. TR21 Amber Triangle

8. EOTECH XPS3-2 and 3X flip magnifier

9. Aim Point M4 (2 MOA dot) and 3X flip magnifier

12. Millet 1-4X DMS

13. Aim Point M2 (4 MOA dot) and 2.5X flip magnifier

16. 3.5 or 4X ACOG with fiber optics

19. Any dot sight without a magnifier

The blanks in the above chart represent what I feel are the missing levels of capability between the optics. I have shot a friend’s Meopta 1-4X and would rank it on par with the TR21. I also feel the TR24 would stay on the same ranking as the TR21 it really offers nothing to close the gap to the S&B (i.e. repeatable BDC elevation knob, changeable BDC elevation knob, ability to half switch the power to the dot and use only the cross hair and the Mil reference lines built in to the reticle).

The S&B 1.1-4X Short Dot is a very misunderstood optic it has inherent capabilities that nothing else can match but is often dismissed solely on price point. The oracular adjustment allows the 1.1 setting to be as low as .90 if focused for close in targets (CQB). Additionally having a rear lens cap in place will severely compromise the performance on the 1.1 setting.

Out.

2011BLDR

I have a Burris XTR 1-4. love the illuminated reticle for low light, very clean glass and nice BDC reticle for customizing holdovers based on loads. figure out a ceiling for what you want to spend on one then, find a coupld that fit the criteris YOU are going to need. you may hate a reticle that someone else loves and vice-versa.