Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bulging cases with PD 147's?

PBA2

I have just received with much anticipation some 147's from Precision Delta. I have been waiting to feel the soft shot of the 147 everyone seems to agree on. Anyway started loading this evening and noticed the bullet seats so deep in the case that it bulges a little. Is this normal? Again never loaded anything but 115's and 124's. So here is the Data: PD 147g - mixed range brass - OAL 1.145-1.150 - Dillon 550

post-25705-12804572951_thumb.jpg

Assuming those are straight seated bullets, not lopsided/crooked, then looks OK to me. 'Crimpless coke bottle' rounds are particularly common in the lead boolit world where slightly larger sized, erm, projectiles are used with no crimp (could not open, scraping the boolit, and the "coke bottle" and neck tension are used to hold the boolit in place.Maybe you're just working with thicker brass than you are used to, or maybe the buldge being farther down caught you eye. You could always mic your bullets to see if they are in spec.

I've bee learing about 'crimpless coke bottle' boolit rounds just recently myself. Here's a pic a casting veteran sent me:

img0664t.th.jpg

I have just received with much anticipation some 147's from Precision Delta. I have been waiting to feel the soft shot of the 147 everyone seems to agree on. Anyway started loading this evening and noticed the bullet seats so deep in the case that it bulges a little. Is this normal? Again never loaded anything but 115's and 124's. So here is the Data: PD 147g - mixed range brass - OAL 1.145-1.150 - Dillon 550

post-25705-12804572951_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dannix

Long bullets are going to touch a thicker part of the case in 9mm. You get that ring. My Lyman 147 gr mold has a bevel base to help prevent this a little more. But when you have to seat @ 1.080 it's bulges about the same as yours seated a lot longer. As long as they are straight and chamber checks don't worry about it.

Long bullets are going to touch a thicker part of the case in 9mm. You get that ring. My Lyman 147 gr mold has a bevel base to help prevent this a little more.

I've never thought of that before. Now I understand why some guys go out of their way to bevel their bases (I know one guy who rigged up a machine to do it, but then he's shooting cast zinc).

Edited by Dannix

interesting because the 124's I've been loading are Berry's CMJ and are actually beveled quite a bit more than the FMJ from PD. This has to be one of the reasons the ring looks so big to me in the 147. seated deeper coupled with the flat bottom edge.

in addition to the base of the bullet, check the case wall thickness from different brands of brass.

my favorite 9mm brass used to be the IMI brass with the TZZ headstamp. I loaded the 147's and had the same results as you.

I switched to federal brass and the bulge went away, I guess the case walls are thinner at the web area and give the bullet more room the seat deeper.