Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replacement Front Sights for HK .45 Compact

Duane Thomas

Working on my review of the HK .45 Compact. From the bench at 50 feet (the maximum distance possible on the the indoor range where I do most of my shooting), the gun was pretty darn accurate but, regardless of ammo type, hit consistently 3" high and 2" to the right. I had assumed that HK would have replacement front sights to deal with the elevation discrepancy, and that the aftermarket could provide a rear sight pusher. However my initial research indicates it might be no joy in HK replacement front sight land. Does anyone know if higher front sights are available for this gun, either from HK or the aftermarket? How about a rear sight pusher? Enquiring minds want know (or at least this enquiring mind).

<sound of wind blowing through ghost town>

I can't believe the vaunted Benosverse Group Mind has let me down. :(

Anyway, just got the following info from HK USA and thought I'd share it here.

The standard front sight is 6.1mm or 6.3 depending on how the gun is sighted in at the factory. Replacement front sights are available and range from 5.9mm to 6.9mm to address elevation discrepancies for point of aim / point of impact. Each .2mm increment adjusts point of impact by 2 inches at 25 meters. Smaller front sight raises impact, taller front sight lowers impact. HK pistols are sighted in by cover hold sighting technique which means front sight dot covers bullseye (or point of intended impact).

Not aware of anyone making a sight pusher for the Hk45 series. We had to have dies specially cut for our press here at HK Columbus.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Heine make some sights many put on there HK's. I would send the silde to Heine which is common or use a very good gunsmith. I recently a gunsmith install some Heine Straights on a guys new HKc it was horrible butchered. I luckly have a real good smith handy. Duane which way did you go??

I was waiting to say anything until I had the sights in my hand, but I'll throw this out.

First off, you are welcome to do what I did, which gave me a perfectly acceptable result: I bought a .180 tall by .125 wide Dawson FO front sight for a Kimber, which has a bigger dovetail than the HK, and filed the dovetail down 'till it fit. Took me about ten minutes, shoots to POA, and I'm happy...But not happy enough.

I called everyone I could think of to inquire about getting some decent (competition) sights for the HK 45 / P30. I spoke to Heinie first, as they already make a set, but they refused, saying they would produce nothing other than the night sights they already make. Nothing without tritium, nothing with different heights, widths, etc. I also tried Novak, Warren, etc, with no luck. I contacted Dawson about making some sights months ago. Initially I got a no, but eventually I talked to the right person (thanks Chet), and I think we are headed in the right direction. I sent them my slide, and they are going to make a .180 x .125 FO and plain serrated front sight to fit the factory dovetail. And if possible (fingers crossed), I am having them make a front and rear set, similar to their M&P sights, with a .180 x .115 front sight, and a rear sight with a .135 wide notch. Now some may not like those demensions, but I'm funding the extra R&D costs out of my own pocket so that they will become a regular stocked item at Dawson, so deal with it :D

They quoted me a 4 week turn-around time, so I'll keep you informed. As soon as the slide shows up, I'll post some pictures.

ETA Oh ya. I hate dots on my rear sight, so I sanded it with some 600 grit, and shot it flat black spray paint. It gives a pretty nice sight picture with the FO front.

Edited by RAZZ

• 2 weeks later...