Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steyr M Series

the duck of death

Funny you should ask. I'm about 2-3 weeks from buying one. Never shot one - handled at stores & gun shows & I loved it.

Everything the article says about the design is correct. Short crisp trigger, lower bore, etc. I shoot only a Glock35 now because my arms & hands point that gun naturally and every other IPSC-type gun points low. The Steyr is even better.

Just got my CCW permit a few months ago and the Steyr S9 or S40 may be what I carry. Whenever I start to carry...

I think police depts should look at the extra safety from gun grabs this pistol has. And fewer ka-booms. Only happens rarely but if you got say 200 cops practicing maybe 1200 rounds a year, that might make one of your guys the "statistic".

Just my $.02

Excellent article!! I own and compete and carry an M9 and M40. A couple points from article:

"The Steyr pistol has an even lower bore axis than the Glock." So what? Sooooo . . it does not flip as much as other guns. I.E., it stays more flat. Does that matter? Ask an experienced Open division shooter if flat shooting = faster. Or try a "low hold" on any 1911 vs a higher one. Lower bore axis = good. This thing is as low as it gets.

"The Steyr pistol has less felt recoil than a similar sized Glock 23."

Yep - size is just about equal to a 23 or a Glock 19. I with they made one the size of a Glock 17 but the Steyr is still excellent.

"The Steyr M40 has a shorter, crisper trigger pull than the standard Glock." Yep - pretty light & capable of better w/ little work plus the reset is short.

"People with small or large hands can easily adjust to the Steyr grip." At 6'2" I hace BIG mits. This thing fits! Obviously it will fit small hands just as well; the grip is considerably smaller than a Glock.

Can it win? Ask the Air FOrce shooting team's Tom Freeman. He was once ranked #5 in the US in Production shooting this gun.

Highcaps? Regular sight? Yep. I converted preban S&W Sigma highcaps by cutting an extra mag catch (don't worry, ATF approves of this since they still work in the smegma, er, Sigma). Unlike the gun, Sigma mags are excellent quality. Sights are standard dovetail and the night sights are normal post & notch.

Is there support? Yep full US based parts and warranty support though you won't need it. Aren't they discontinued? No. Excellent gun and at $300 from CDNN, these are a real STEAL!!! Do a search on the word Steyr on www.gunsmith.com , here on BE and on www.glocktalk.com There is ample info.

I have two and really like them. All they need to be more competitive in USPSA Production is more sight radius. Something along the lines of a G-34/35. While I liked the funky sights, they were just too different to stick with. I had them replaced with post and notch.

As Carlos said, I made GM with mine. I also made Master in IDPA with it. Very comfortable to shoot fast with minimal muzzle rise. I am using a Blade Tech holster and Ky-Tac mag pouches. Since Sept 11th my shooting schedule has been in the toilet and I just seem too busy with Uncle Sam to get out there and compete like I was.

I havent picked up a compact yet, but still plan to.

All in all, get one and have fun.

Carlos,

Who is doing the warranty and providing parts for the Steyr? Last I heard KBI wasn't handling the Steyr any more and, AFAIK, CDNN just wholesales guns. Never heard of them doing any repairs or warranty work. I don't think Steyr's are being imported any more (I may be wrong) and that CDNN is just selling off the stock they got from KBI. I'd be interested since they're really nice guns and a great value--I once owned two and kick myself for selling them.