Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun near Austin TX?

Better URL for Texas Tactical's schedule: Texas Tactical

This Sunday at ARC is an ALSPPC USPSA Steel match, can usually be shot with shotgun (no rifle). Some shoot it twice, handgun and shotgun. Schedule says Steel Challenge, but it is USPSA (falling) steel.

Copperas Cove Pistol Club, 3-gun, this Saturday. IDPA-ish but they have a high cap "Limited" division.

And there is Steve J's map of matches: Texas Ranges with Practical Pistol Matches

Lee

Better URL for Texas Tactical's schedule: Texas Tactical

This Sunday at ARC is an ALSPPC USPSA Steel match, can usually be shot with shotgun (no rifle). Some shoot it twice, handgun and shotgun. Schedule says Steel Challenge, but it is USPSA (falling) steel.

Copperas Cove Pistol Club, 3-gun, this Saturday. IDPA-ish but they have a high cap "Limited" division.

And there is Steve J's map of matches: Texas Ranges with Practical Pistol Matches

Lee

<_< Lee, the 3-gun match in Copperas Cove couldn't farther from IDPA. You're also confusing the divisions with the action pistol match, which also couldn't be farther from IDPA. Now, our IDPA match is the very best in the State, but the other two matches are unique unto themselves.

These are the divisions of competion for the 3-Gun match in Copperas Cove. As you can see, your pistol is not a consideration. You can shoot any 9mm - 45acp including an open gun.

CCPC 3-GUN DIVISIONS

OPEN CLASS: Semi-automatic Rifle with or without optical sight, Speed loading or box magazine fed semi-automatic Shotgun

CLASS 1: Semi-automatic Rifle with optical sight, Semi-automatic Shotgun

CLASS 2: Semi-automatic Rifle with iron sights, Semi-automatic Shotgun

CLASS 3: Semi-automatic Rifle with optical sight, Pump Shotgun

CLASS 4: Semi-automatic Rifle with iron sights, Pump Shotgun

;)

PM me and I'll email you the 3-Gun stages for this Saturday or you can find them at the club link in my address.

Edited by Steve J

<_< Lee, the 3-gun match in Copperas Cove couldn't farther from IDPA. You're also confusing the divisions with the action pistol match, which also couldn't be farther from IDPA. Now, our IDPA match is the very best in the State, but the other two matches are unique unto themselves.

Steve, your 3-gun matches are IDPA-ish, to me, a USPSA and IMG 3-gun shooter. :lol: Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I guess your correction is good with IDPA having announced some 3-gun rules and your 3-gun falling well outside those rules.

Now I just hope the OP gets to one of the matches. I just looked at Mike's schedule (Texas Tactical) - between both ranges, there is a carbine match on 7/31 and 4 carbine matches in August. Toss in the Copperas matches and ALSPPC, there should be a long-gun match somewhere.

Lee

Steve, your 3-gun matches are IDPA-ish, to me, a USPSA and IMG 3-gun shooter. :lol: Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I guess your correction is good with IDPA having announced some 3-gun rules and your 3-gun falling well outside those rules.

Now I just hope the OP gets to one of the matches. I just looked at Mike's schedule (Texas Tactical) - between both ranges, there is a carbine match on 7/31 and 4 carbine matches in August. Toss in the Copperas matches and ALSPPC, there should be a long-gun match somewhere.

Lee

Could be your perspective. When was the last time you shot one of our 3-gun matches or an IDPA match? We use an IDPA cardboard target and the similarites stop there.

Lee

Could be your perspective. When was the last time you shot one of our 3-gun matches or an IDPA match? We use an IDPA cardboard target and the similarites stop there.

While I wouldn't call CCPC 3-Gun IDPA-ish, I can see Lee's point about IDPA influence - especially when compared to many "Outlaw" or USPSA MG matches. What do I mean by IDPA influence?

1 - Artificially limiting ammo capacity (shotgun stage - "start with only 6rds loaded").

2 - Prohibiting the shooter from reloading when he wants - using the WSB to force him to run the gun dry prior to reloading (shotgun stage - "shooter may reload only after first 6rds have been fired").

3 - Limited opportunity to shoot on the move - IMO, too much static shooting from boxes.

4 - Restricitve (to me anyway) WSBs that often tell a shooter exactly what he must do instead of letting him figure out the most efficient way to tackle the stage.

I offer these observations only as constructive criticism. That said, you can't beat the quality of folks in the club. Lloyd offers some of the best hospitality in the State and is always interesting to listen to. In recent years the level of competition has also steadily gotten better and better. It's always a fun match and I consider myself really lucky to have a quality Monthly 3-Gun match only 40 minutes from my home. Steve - see you Saturday!

IDPA type scoring,,, time Plus with the IDPA targets,,,,

Classifications,, that you can show up with whatever 3 guns you have and still play,

The limiting the rounds,, on start,,, is for some reasons,,,, like,, getting practice loading under the timer!

That will always help you at a bigger match,, and giving, some folks with less magazine capacity the idea, that they have a chance,,, but after you watch some folks like Sheldon load 8 shells,,, you realize, he is just faster than you anyway.

In any case,,, a good local 3 gun match to shake out your stuff and make sure it all works,,

Lee

While I wouldn't call CCPC 3-Gun IDPA-ish, I can see Lee's point about IDPA influence - especially when compared to many "Outlaw" or USPSA MG matches. What do I mean by IDPA influence?

1 - Artificially limiting ammo capacity (shotgun stage - "start with only 6rds loaded").

2 - Prohibiting the shooter from reloading when he wants - using the WSB to force him to run the gun dry prior to reloading (shotgun stage - "shooter may reload only after first 6rds have been fired").

3 - Limited opportunity to shoot on the move - IMO, too much static shooting from boxes.

4 - Restricitve (to me anyway) WSBs that often tell a shooter exactly what he must do instead of letting him figure out the most efficient way to tackle the stage.

I offer these observations only as constructive criticism. That said, you can't beat the quality of folks in the club. Lloyd offers some of the best hospitality in the State and is always interesting to listen to. In recent years the level of competition has also steadily gotten better and better. It's always a fun match and I consider myself really lucky to have a quality Monthly 3-Gun match only 40 minutes from my home. Steve - see you Saturday!

Doug, those are not IDPA influences.

1. IDPA does have downloaded starts. So what? USPSA has empty gun starts with all of your ammo artificially placed on the stage.

2. In IDPA you can reload wherever and whenever you want as long as it is an IDPA legal reload.

3. Shooting from shooting boxes is a similarity the match has with USPSA rule 1.1.5.1. Shooting boxes and fault lines are prohibited in IDPA.

4. WSB like that are common to one extent or another to all the shooting sports.

The idea that an IDPA target and time plus scoring is IDPA scoring is also wrong. Beyond the target there is nothing in common with the way we score the 3-gun match and IDPA scoring. Seeing an influence comes clearly from a lack of knowledge of IDPA.

Edited by Steve J

Steve,

OK - I'll concede the point that 3-Gun at CCPC has absolutely no IDPA influence if you'll concede the point that the 3-Gun stages we typically shoot are more prescriptive than those normally found at other MG / 3-Gun matches. As a guy who shoots MG regularly at various venues - trust me, they are. I just wish we could reduce the mandatory static shooting and have the WSB occasionally state - "shoot all targets as they become visible".

Believe it or not, I'm not bashing IDPA. I'm simply pointing out things that I, along with several others I've discussed this with, would like to see done differently.

Either way, I'll see you at the range.

Doug

I can't speak to other 3-gun matches. My only points of comparison are IDPA and USPSA pistol matches. I know IDPA and USPSA stage design very well, so I know for a fact that the stages lean far more towards USPSA if they lean towards anything.

Static shooting is used for the same reason rule 1.5.1.1 exists in USPSA. No one to haul out vision barriers or pound in stakes. That is combined with some "shoot as they become visible from within fault lines". Like I said before the 3-gun match is a unique club match with its own rules. Love it or leave it as they say. Since the Club BoD does all the work and only 50% of the BoD is interested in the 3-gun match... well you get the idea. That's 3 fellas. The rest of us help, but I'm only going to break my back for the pistol matches. ;)

:)

I can't speak to other 3-gun matches. My only points of comparison are IDPA and USPSA pistol matches. I know IDPA and USPSA stage design very well, so I know for a fact that the stages lean far more towards USPSA if they lean towards anything.

Static shooting is used for the same reason rule 1.5.1.1 exists in USPSA. No one to haul out vision barriers or pound in stakes. That is combined with some "shoot as they become visible from within fault lines". Like I said before the 3-gun match is a unique club match with its own rules. Love it or leave it as they say. Since the Club BoD does all the work and only 50% of the BoD is interested in the 3-gun match... well you get the idea. That's 3 fellas. The rest of us help, but I'm only going to break my back for the pistol matches. ;)

:)

I appreciate all the hard work you and others put into making the club so successful. If I didn't enjoy the matches ya'll put on, I'd go elsewhere. Hoping I can get my son Kyle out to the range this weekend.

I might be in Austin the weekend of the 7th. Still hasing out details.

Sorry for the thread hijack. August right? The 7th is a first Saturday. The 8th is a 2nd Sunday. This is what is available that weekend. All of these ranges with club webpage links can be found on the map in my signature line. PM me if you have problems and I'll email you directly info on what you're interested in.

1st SAT IDPA Copperas Cove, Leppo Gun Range, Copperas Cove Pistol Club

1st SAT IDPA Hempstead, The Impact Zone Range, West Houston IDPA

1st SAT IPSC Manor, Austin Rifle Club, Austin Lone Star Practical Pistol Club

1st SAT Tactical Carbine Bulverde, Cedar Ridge Range, Texas Tactical

2nd SUN Steel Challenge Waco, Central Texas Rifle & Pistol Club, CTRP IPSC Program

2nd SUN IDPA San Antonio, Blackhawk Range, River City Shooters Club

2nd SUN Long Gun/Multi-Gun Manor, Austin Rifle Club, Austin Lone Star Practical Pistol Club

Edited by Steve J