Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot my first USPSA match...

jeffsoward

I shot at a local USPSA match last night. My very first. It was AWESOME!!!

I don't have the numbers yet, but I came in 40th out of 46.

I feel pretty good about it since I have Multiple Sclerosis and it's hard for me to get around very well. My biggest problem was transitioning between stations.

Place Class Division Points Penalties Time Hit Factor Stage Pts Stage %

44 U Single Stack 81 60 63.1 0.3328 7.1738 5.98

27 U Single Stack 85 30 81.17 0.6776 20.6959 17.25

43 U Single Stack 79 30 45.25 1.0829 18.0354 18.04

29 U Single Stack 106 0 33.82 3.1342 54.125 45.1

Place Class Division PF Match Pts Match %

40 U Single Stack Major 100.0301 22.01

Now, I don't know what most of these numbers mean, so can you guys help me out?

I attached the sheets I was sent. She misspelled my name; she has it as Seward, Jeff (It's Soward).

I think the penalties are the Mikes I had (yeah, I screwed up on stage one and hobbled past two targets without shooting them, my bad).

Stage 4 was the only stationary stage, so I drew and shot. I'm not too horrible at that, it's the time I have to figure out how to safely walk with my cane and get from box to box, etc. The kneeling/laying down stage was pretty comical for me.

All I can say is I'm hooked. I'm joining USPSA so that the numbers will mean something and I can continue trying to improve.

Pistol All divisions.htm

Pistol Finals All divisions.htm

"points" is how many points you get based on what zone of the target you hit (A=5, B/C=4, etc). Penatlys are assesed on missed targts, no-shoot target that were hit, procedural penaltys (not reloading when you should, etc). time is simple, its the time it took you to shoot the stage. Hit factor is points-penatlys divided by time. Points per second is how the USPSA is scored and thats what hit factor is. stage pts are awarded in order of hit factor. best hitfactor gets the full stage points. then based on your hit factor percentage of the winner, you get that % of points. (ex: 100 pt stage, winner shot a HF of 10.0 and you shot a 7.5. you get 75% of the points b/c thats the percentage you were from the winner)

match points/ percentage are the same thing basically. you shot 22.01 % of what the overall winner shot.

That is pretty good for your first time! Even for people who shoot well (apparently you do) it takes a while to figure out the strategies to maximize your scoring on different stages.

Ever since an injury last year I have a tough time moving around and getting into/out of uncomfortable positions. Luckily, most USPSA stages allow you to shoot them in the order you desire so even though it might be slower for some people, it might be to our advantage to finish up a stage on the shots that have to be done prone or kneeling.

One thing it taught me is to work on my single hand shooting some (I don't ever shoot single hand). Even though I didn't do horrible on the single strong/single weak hand shooting, I didn't do as well as I'd like. Then there's the down range shooting, also going to take a bit of practice time.

While I can't do much about speeding up my transitions, I can get some accuracy and compensate a little.

I'm so amp'd though, I'm ready to shoot another match right now. :goof:

A couple of my buddies got third and sixth in the match, but then again, they're the one's that got me into it.

They deserve a great big thank you.

Mitch, Rusty, thanks fellas. I'm addicted. It's like crack.

One thing it taught me is to work on my single hand shooting some (I don't ever shoot single hand). Even though I didn't do horrible on the single strong/single weak hand shooting, I didn't do as well as I'd like. Then there's the down range shooting, also going to take a bit of practice time.

While I can't do much about speeding up my transitions, I can get some accuracy and compensate a little.

I'm so amp'd though, I'm ready to shoot another match right now. :goof:

A couple of my buddies got third and sixth in the match, but then again, they're the one's that got me into it.

They deserve a great big thank you.

Mitch, Rusty, thanks fellas. I'm addicted. It's like crack.

I would suggest working on your single hand shooting with strong hand and weak hand. Since you are moving with a cane it might shave off a bit of time if you become proficient and comfortably accurate shooting single handed without having to release the cane for the shots out to say 10 maybe 15 yards. On many stages that I have seen that would cover the majority of the target arrays on a stage. This way you could reserve shooting two handed for the longer range shots, and it might simplify things on a stage a bit for you.

I hope that made sense. Basically I am trying to suggest that it is beneficial for all shooters to become proficient in shooting single handed, and in your case there is incentive to become more adept at such. You will get good at single handed shooting the more that you practice it, and I believe that stages could run smoother for you if you are not worried about having to use two handed shooting all of the time. Not to mention how impressed the other shooters will be at your skill at shooting single handed accurately.

I hope that made sense. Basically I am trying to suggest that it is beneficial for all shooters to become proficient in shooting single handed, and in your case there is incentive to become more adept at such. You will get good at single handed shooting the more that you practice it, and I believe that stages could run smoother for you if you are not worried about having to use two handed shooting all of the time. Not to mention how impressed the other shooters will be at your skill at shooting single handed accurately.

Great minds think alike. That's exactly what I hope to try to do. Since there are some stage where you shoot through a transition, I want to try to get a bit better single hand (strong) so I can do that. I also need to get the weak hand a LOT better. I've dedicated 50 rounds to each this week.

I am proud of people like yourself.

Find an advantage. If you find yourself at slide lock and out of ammo with one last cardboard bad guy looking at you, break out the cane!

Welcome.

Thank you sir!

I wonder if I knock the "head" off that last target with my cane if it would be an A or a B...

I shot my second match yesterday and had a blast. Haven't got the scores yet but I feel like I did pretty well. I took Blueridge's advice and started practicing single hand shooting some.

We had a stage where there were targets "hiding" behind barrels on opposing sides of the course. They were to be shot during a transition forward. I took the opportunity and just shot them both strong-hand while limping along wits my cane; two alphas each. I was really happy about it. I heard a couple of the guys cheering and yelling behind me, made me feel really good.

God, I love this sport!

Edited by jeffsoward

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff,

Welcome to the sport! I have a sister-in-law with MS and she has the same Positive attitude you do! She doesn't compete but she loves to go deer and antelope hunting with my brother and has found ways to make it easier. One thing you might want to consider is to switch to a high cap .40. This will allow you to skip some reloads compared to SS. Also, since you will be doing more strong hand shooting than most of us, you could down load to a minor PF, and reduce the recoil. As long as you are hitting the "A" zone, you are still earning 5 points but the down side is if you hit the other scoring zones you lose 1 extra point per zone.

Again, welcome to the sport!

Doug