Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tips on my run?

CiDirkona

The video quality isn't that great, but this is from Sunday's Steel Workers (like USPSA without cardboard) match. My runs are at 6:20 and 7:40. What what I should work on next? Is my thumb hanging out bad? I didn't even notice I was doing that until I saw the video... I also notice that on the 'misses,' I didn't come to a complete stop on the target -- I was still moving from one place to another. -- oh, and despite being 'open,' we were all running as 10rd production mags to make things even with the few amount of guys we had and their equipment. I figured I could use the practice with the open glock anyways.

What should I work on?

Thanks!

-Colin

Reload when moving. You're wasting time on the standing reload.

Teach RO the proper range commands. "Shooter is ready" "Slide forward, hammer down, and holster" are not range commands. The proper commands are "Are YOU ready?" and "If clear, hammer down, holster."

Are you shooting open? It doesn't look like your comp is really giving you that much gas. You might need to change the load you're shooting. A flatter shooting load will help you shoot faster.

At my range, it's common place for the RO to say "That's a statement, not a question. Shooter is ready. If you're not, you need to let me know." The other phrases are commonplace too... Is there a place I can look up what should be said?

I'm shooting a 131pf load through this, so there's not a whole lot of recoil to begin with. I'm still working up a major load that will make much better use of the ports.

The other phrases are commonplace too... Is there a place I can look up what should be said?

USPSA rulebook on www.uspsa.org

Rule 8.3 Range Communication ( rule #'s 8.3.1 through 8.3.8 )

Make Ready

Are you Ready - ( lack of negative response indicates shooter is ready )

Standby

Start Signal

Stop - if RO sees something wrong like 180 violation, finger in trigger guard while moving, hears a squib, etc.

If you are Finished, Unload and Show Clear

If Clear, Hammer down, Holster

Range is Clear

The other phrases are commonplace too... Is there a place I can look up what should be said?

USPSA rulebook on www.uspsa.org

Rule 8.3 Range Communication ( rule #'s 8.3.1 through 8.3.8 )

Make Ready

Are you Ready - ( lack of negative response indicates shooter is ready )

Standby

Start Signal

Stop - if RO sees something wrong like 180 violation, finger in trigger guard while moving, hears a squib, etc.

If you are Finished, Unload and Show Clear

If Clear, Hammer down, Holster

Range is Clear

Besides safety warnings at the discretion of the RO, these are the only words you should ever hear uttered during a course of fire, which begins with "Make ready" and ends with "Range is clear."

Thanks CZinSC for the candid explanation.

I'd work on accuracy, shot calling, accuracy, shot calling and then get that grip fixed. It appears your left hand isn't snugged up next to your right hand...you want them to nearly dovetail together on the grip. That will let you put your right thumb over the top of the left thumb and you will be able to cam the left hand forward into a much stronger position, which will limit muzzle flip significantly. R,