Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LaserLyte Rear Laser Site Legal?

DanD23

Has anyone looked at the Laserlyte rear sites, and are they legal in ESP (on Springfield XDM) for IDPA. There is a ban on lights on the gun, and I know that with the laser on it would not be legal. However, if the laser was disabled by removing batteries, would the sights be legal?

Lasers in general have their uses in self-defense (a topic sadly outside the purview of these forums). It's the Laserlyte in particular with which I have a problem. This thing has severe battery life issues and you have to push a button on the sight body to turn it on, just before using it, and push again to turn it off afterward. I mean, really, taking those two things into account, what use is it, for any purpose? If you want a laser, get a real laser, i.e. something with (1) a decent battery life, that either (2) turns itself on when you grip the gun and turns itself off when you let go, or (3) has a switch conveniently enough located you can turn the unit on and off with the gun in a two-handed grip. (You still can't use it at an IDPA match though. :))

Duane,

The gun this is on is my house, and often my car gun. It is used by myself and my wife who values the laser since she just needs to look at the red dot to hit something. Battery life is a concern. The Laserlyte was a gift, so it isn't costing me much to try it out. It does allow me to use my favorite holsters (something I could not do with other lasers I have had for the gun). I have found it useful in dry fire training, it really shows if you are not steady on the trigger.

The question for matches is not if it is legal with the laser on, but if it is legal as a rear site with the laser disabled (i.e, batteries removed), due to it's different shape. My read is that it would be legal, given that it then functions as a standard notch and post sight. What do others think?