Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HK P30 Trigger Pulls

Duane Thomas

Just got in an HK P30 for an article. Not the first time I've handled one of these guns, but I'm impressed all over again. I may actually wind up buying this one from HK. I could stand to see the SA and especially DA trigger pulls be just a bit lighter. I note the mainspring in the gun is colored blue, I assume to differentiate it from a different (lighter? heavier?) factory mainspring that's been colored differently. Does anyone know if there's a lighter mainspring available for an HK P30 - and if so, do you have any experience firing a gun fitted with one, thus to know what that does to trigger pull weight and ignition reliability with the harder primer types?

I got an P30 a few years ago when the first came out, and swapped the mainspring with a lighter Wolff USP spring. It lightened the DA pull and I only had light strikes with one that I cut too many coils off. I can't remember what weight. I 'll have to try and find the packaging.

Just got in an HK P30 for an article. Not the first time I've handled one of these guns, but I'm impressed all over again. I may actually wind up buying this one from HK. I could stand to see the SA and especially DA trigger pulls be just a bit lighter. I note the mainspring in the gun is colored blue, I assume to differentiate it from a different (lighter? heavier?) factory mainspring that's been colored differently. Does anyone know if there's a lighter mainspring available for an HK P30 - and if so, do you have any experience firing a gun fitted with one, thus to know what that does to trigger pull weight and ignition reliability with the harder primer types?

The "blue" spring is the stock spring at 14#, and one can purchase 10, 12 or 16# springs. I think the HK P30 with LEM trigger kit has a differing color spring (i think it is yellow).

HI Duanne,

I had P30-L 9mm and the Hammer spring looks the same as the USP springs offered by Wolff. I have tried the kit with the lower springs and I am guessing something in the middle would be reliable. The firing pin block springs are harder to get,...but there are different weights. They are used to lower LEM trigger press, but also can safely be used with the DA/SA variants. Polishing of the firing pin block will also slightly smooth things out but is noticeable moreso in SA. I am going to start using one again when I can get the S version of the P30-L 9mm for production.

Yes, the same mainspring is used in the USP, P2000 and P30. You can download the user manuals for the respective guns from HK and see the part numbers for yourself if you want proof.

I had a Wolff 10lb mainspring on my USP expert that I used for competition, and it never failed to fire with WSP primers.

I just got a P30 V3 and have already installed a 12lb mainspring from Wolff (last night) but haven't got to test it yet.

To further lighten the P30 trigger you can replace the firing pin block spring with one from a USP, HK p/n 214192. Or if it's a competition-only gun, and not production class, just remove it.

I'm also experimenting with replacing the "control lever", the lever that pushes up the firing pin block, with one from a P2000. I swapped in one from my P2000SK (same p/n as on the P2000) and the trigger reset was reduced by probably 2/3rds, down to what my P2000SK was. However the lever was just a tad too tall and hits the firing pin block so you can't get the slide all the way on. I have another lever coming from HK so I can try filing it down a hair without breaking my P2000SK. I don't know why they changed that control lever, but it's the only part different between the 2000 and P30 assemblies.

Edited by DarthMuffin

Numrich Gun Parts (e-gunparts.com) has the FPB spring, their part number 602840

Or you can call HK (number on web site) and order from their customer service dept using the HK part number I mentioned. They're actually about the same price either place.

I'll try to remember to follow up here with results when my new control lever gets in.

My P30 LEM is set up with the V4 FPB spring and the standard hammer spring from the V3 which is blue and lighter than the black LEM hammer / mainspring. After 2600 rounds the trigger pull now weighs 5.5lbs measured from the tip. It started off around 6.25, but smoothed up nicely. The recoil on this thing is amazingly light. WW 127+P+ kicks less than my G34 with wally world WW white box.

It is a very fast gun to shoot.

I got the P2000 control lever in. After some experimentation I just ground down the lever that hits the firing pin block. It works and reset is shorter, about like my P2000. However after comparing with some other P30 owners, this may only work with the P30S (safety), which is what I have. The control lever in the other P30s was already the same as the P2000 version.

Edited by DarthMuffin