Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fixed Time Scoring

Yoda

James

You of all people!

9.4.6.1 Overtime shots (i.e. shots fired after the signal to cease fire has been given), will each be penalized the value of the maximum scoring hit available on that target, except in the case of disappearing targets.

The penalty only applies if a signal is being given by a timer to signal the end of the allotted time.

Erik,

I could've sworn the USPSA factored Fixed Time stages but, after checking the Little Red Book, I humbly stand corrected - thanks - but God I hate when that happens B)

I've also amended my earlier post, but the evidence of my faux pas remains in your post as a "paper trail".

Bottom line: This means OT shots will be penalised minus 5 points, regardless of what hits might be visible on the targets, and the calculations should (I hope and pray) already be programmed into WinMSS.

Hi Vince,

Not in the WinMSS version (4.0.1.0) that is currently available on the IPSC website.

I have created a fixed time stage, but upon scoring it doesn't provide any space for entering OT shots. Also, it provides me with an option to enter the time, which to me is quite surprising :wacko: . And yes, I double-checked that I really entered the stage as FT :wacko::angry:

Garfield,

I contacted the developers of WinMSS and, bottom line, they said "Ooops" :wacko:

Anyway, they're making the necessary adjustments, which should be available for download (I guess as a patch?) from the IPSC website within the next 24 hours.

And many thanks for bringing these discrepancies to our attention.

Garfield,

I just received another email confirming the patch should be ready tomorrow. They're working frantically to fix the oversight but, as they say "the bigger WinMSS gets, the longer it takes to change and test".

While IPSC doesn't always get it 100% right the first time, and eventhough we definitely can't give everybody everything they want, we at least try to be responsive to competitor questions and requests. Hence, if you're a satisfied customer, remember to tick the "excellent" box on our next "Customer Satisfaction Survey".

And leave a big tip on the table for me B)

Garfield,

I just received the following message from the WinMSS guys:

"Please be advised that WinMSS version 4.0.2 has been posted on the Internet. Added "Overtime Shots" (OT) and updated "Fixed Time" scoring to be consistent with the January 2004 Edition rules. These changes affected Rapid Scoring, Scoring Verification, and Stage Results reporting."

Please confirm that everything is in order once you've upgraded and tested it.

Vince,

I just ran a quick test on the FT scoring within WinMSS 4.02

I've found a few glitches:

- on the scoresheet the OT column is missing

- although the scores are entered it does not calculate the results. All competitors end up with 0 points. WHen you check the entries they are listed allright in score verification. Also no problems in list of exceptions.

Otherwise the subtraction of 5 points for an OT shot works fine. Time cannot be entered in a FT stage, which is also good.

Please say Hi to Chris on my behalf, kudos for the fast response on the noticed problem. Just a little more tweaking will do the job.

I'll buy Garfield a few drinks and we will balance it when we meet the next time ... B)

Yoda,

This just in from WinMSS:

Overtime Shots (OT) will have to be recorded on the "comment" lines of the Scoresheet, as would the individual times of each string of fire when a stage has multiple strings of fire (for now). Hopefully the guys won't find this too awkward. Aside from that, OT should appear everywhere it is required (Rapid Scoring window, Verification reports, and Stage Results report).

I will now focus on updating the documentation, before moving on to improving the membership administration (e.g.: updating WinMSS membership records with the IPSC Aliases recorded at IPSC.org, providing the Family Name, Given Name, Date of Birth, and Region are identical... capturing more membership information, etc.).

To save me serving as IPSC's version of Western Union, could you or Garfield please communicate any irregularities directly to Chris Zielinski on winmss@ipsc.org

Mucho grassy-ass.

Hi,

What am I missing on the IPSC website ? Both the full install and the update that I just 5 minutes ago downloaded render version 4.0.1.0 (which I already had) ?

I refreshed the pages several times, but still no luck.

What am I missing ? :wacko:

(Goes also to winmss@ipsc.org)

Garfield,

I downloaded it this very morning to do a test on a different computer. I got the 4.02 version so it is on the server.

Maybe you should also clear your cache. Other than that I can't see any other solution. I'll be happy to send you the most current version if you don't mind receiving 4MB through your mailbox :P

Yoda: thanks for the e-mail :) .

I have also investigated FT scoring in WinMSS 4.0.2 a little more, and found some other things that strike me as odd or even incorrect.

As per Vince's request I have mailed them to WinMSS@ipsc.org, but I thought that it might be interesting to note them here as well.

1. For a FT stage I would find it logical that you can enter the fixed time that is set, so that it shows up in the briefing and on the Scoresheets. Now nothing is done with the time in Stage Admin and Stage Briefing, and still scoresheets are produced which have an "open" input field for the time.

2. In FT misses are not penalised. However, the outcome of a stage could be that a competitor has less hits than requested. This cannot be entered in WinMSS, it gets refused by the program.

Yoda: thanks for the e-mail  :) .

I have also investigated FT scoring in WinMSS 4.0.2 a little more, and found some other things that strike me as odd or even incorrect.

2. In FT misses are not penalised. However, the outcome of a stage could be that a competitor has less hits than requested. This cannot be entered in WinMSS, it gets refused by the program.

Garfield,

if you have less than the required number of hits which are not penalized (eg. disappearing targets in a Comstock stage) you must click the checkbox "Disengage confirmation" in the lower left corner of the scoring input screen.

Just a little thing to know ... :P So far you failed your test as Stats Officer :D Keep on trying!!

OK, good to know ... it wasn't in the manual though :(

I tested it and it indeed works :)

And I have no ambitions whatsoever of becoming a Stats Officer, thank you :P

I was just so tired of tweaking Excel sheets over and over again, that I started using WinMSS just one week ago :wacko: