Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Advice

robin303

Hey guys I just got my 1000 boolits from Montana Gold of 124 JHP and just wondering what is your favorite OAL is. With my RN I settled for 1.135 and real happy with that. All my factory HP are 1.074 but not really sure I want to do that. This is really for my matches comming up. I will test couple hundred for sure before of course.

Thanks

I would load up a dummy round at 1.14 or 1.15 and drop it in your barrel(removed from the gun of course). If it touches the rifling I'd back it off a little tiny bit at a time until it drops in and out freely without touching anything. Measure that and then look for recipes for that oal. In very general terms the longer the better for reliability and other issues.

I would load up a dummy round at 1.14 or 1.15 and drop it in your barrel(removed from the gun of course). If it touches the rifling I'd back it off a little tiny bit at a time until it drops in and out freely without touching anything. Measure that and then look for recipes for that oal. In very general terms the longer the better for reliability and other issues.

Thanks Sarge, That makes perfect sense.

Thanks Sarge, That makes perfect sense.

I took Sarge's advice just the other day on this same bullet ( MG 124JHP ). I found my CZ SP01 likes 1.116, but not 1.117. The 1.117 dropped free of the Dillon case gauge, but not the barrel. I've loaded them to 1.114 and so far so good.