Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carver Comp w/Lone Wolf barrel

mscott

Title says it all. Has anyone tried the Carver comp on a Lone Wolf barrel? It's a pretty attractive package price at $180 for the 3 port or $190 for the 4 port and barrel together.

http://www.bb-enterprise.biz/productCat44769.ctlg

If you go to the GALLERY you will see a pic of my 40 OPEN MAJOR (ETG)

It features all the specs.

I prefer the KKM barrel over the LW for a little more $$$ you get a little more accuracy. If that matters to you.

I'm looking at doing something similar, out of curiosity will it be 9mm, 9 Major, or .40 S&W?

The plan it to run regular 9mm run at 140+ pf. It would be used for local multigun and steel matches.

I am a also a fan of the KKM barrel over the Lonewolf. Not to say it isn't a good barrel just personal preference, some people say that they don't even notice a difference. Either way you go it is a pretty good package.

I'm looking at doing something similar, out of curiosity will it be 9mm, 9 Major, or .40 S&W?

The plan it to run regular 9mm run at 140+ pf. It would be used for local multigun and steel matches.

I would run the three port compensator on that model. Especially with minor ammo. In my experience with .40S&W, larger comps tend to bleed off more pressure (correct me if I am wrong on the science) therefore short cycling the gun = failure to feed... even with a 10 lb spring..

Just an FYI

"Thread size currently available for KKM barrels in 9/16 x 32. Thread size currently for LoneWolf barrels in 1/2 x 28."

I've got that part figured out and I already have an extra SJC comp to fit a KKM barrel in the drawer. The things I've been thinking about are that the KKM barrel alone costs more than the barrel/comp combo from LW or Carver (I realize you get what you pay for) and there are a few threads on KKM barrels being chambered a little short.

I've got 3 KKM barrel, not a one was chambered short. But, yeah...I have read the same. I wonder if folks are getting the "gunsmith fit" barrels and assuming they are the "drop in" barrels (seems like some ordered "drop in" and may not have gotten it).

I have read plenty on the LW barrels being short chambered...or needing their leade re-reamed (especially with lead). Seems like the thing to do was to mail them back to LW with a dummy round of your ammo and they'd adjust them (free). I've never had one.

I've got a G34 KKM barrel and comp that you are welcome to try. Slide too, if you need it. Let me know and I'll bring it to a local match.

I have the LW barrel and Carver 9mm major comp on a Gen 4 G17 and it works great with both major and minor loads. I have a LW guide rod and 13 lb recoil spring. I have ran 138 pf and a 168 pf through this gun and both have been flawless. I also used a CCF slide and Glockworx Ultimate trigger. I like shooting the 9mm so much that I just ordered a STI/Dawson enhanced Steel Master! All my other competition pistols are on STI frames so I only have to have 1 belt set up.

My son has a SJC G17 with the KKM barrel and the SJC comp and we don't notice any difference in the recoil or accuracy. Both of these G17's run a slide mounted optic and haven't had any problems with keeping zero'd. His has a JP and mine has an STS.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Title says it all. Has anyone tried the Carver comp on a Lone Wolf barrel? It's a pretty attractive package price at $180 for the 3 port or $190 for the 4 port and barrel together.

http://www.bb-enterprise.biz/productCat44769.ctlg

If you go to the GALLERY you will see a pic of my 40 OPEN MAJOR (ETG)

It features all the specs.

I prefer the KKM barrel over the LW for a little more $$$ you get a little more accuracy. If that matters to you.

Can you link to this pic? I can't find it and would love to see a comp mounted up.

JW