Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training "regimen" for a beginner

narwhal

Hi,

I'm a beginner shooter. I joined IDPA and have shot half a dozen matches. I plan on doing a few IPSC matches and will probably join the local IPSC club as well assuming I don't hate it. Anyway I typically finish in the top 25% or so in the local IDPA matches but I'm still not very close to the top shooters.

I carry a pistol every day on the job. I want to get good. I want to practice a lot.

Does anyone publish a "diet" or regimen on taking someone from mediocre to decent. I shoot M&P's right now, all in .40, I have 3 of them and usually use the "pro series" 40 which has a 4.25" barrel and night sights. I have a shot timer, holsters, and magazine pouches.

Unfortunately my job puts me on the road and unable to shoot for 4-5 days per week. I can go to the range twice per week. The rest of the time I can do dry fire. Is it possible to improve in this situation?

I've been practicing with some master level shooters every week at my range. I usually double their times on any given course of fire, with similar points down. Granted they are shooting open guns but I'm guessing that doesn't matter too much. I'd like get closer to 150% of their times by the end of the year.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Edited by narwhal

Check out Steve Anderson's dry fire books as a start to develop a DF regimen. If you're on the road take the heater and dry fire with some airsoft targets (downsized from standard size). A consistent and focused DF program alone can put you in competition with those masters quickly. Spend 45min to an hour and really focus on quality reps. Take the time to evaluate all the mechanical details and be open to try new things. Make sure that everything you try is tested against a timer. Make sure that when you dry fire you are forcing yourself to make "good hits". When you can go to the range, focus on accuracy to start and teach yourself what A hits look like on every target at any distance.

The dry fire will develop your mechanics and the range time will teach you to call your shots. If you do it right, it won't take long! Good luck!

Edited by Z-man

• 2 weeks later...

IMO, the best practice session is one where you arrive with a specific area you want to work on and remain completely focused on improving that one area. You might warm up with a couple simple drills or slow fire, but don't try mixing 5 different training areas into one session.

For example if you are going work on draws, focus completely on draws during the practice session. Take break throughout the session to give yourself a break.

This technique works for me, but it may not for you. Try one way for awhile and measure the results, then try another, if you open your mind to new things you will discover what works best for you.

IMO, the best practice session is one where you arrive with a specific area you want to work on and remain completely focused on improving that one area. You might warm up with a couple simple drills or slow fire, but don't try mixing 5 different training areas into one session.

For example if you are going work on draws, focus completely on draws during the practice session. Take break throughout the session to give yourself a break.

This technique works for me, but it may not for you. Try one way for awhile and measure the results, then try another, if you open your mind to new things you will discover what works best for you.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ordered Burkett's Vol. 1-3 DVD's and Anderson's Refinement and Repetition dry fire book last night. Hopefully these will help me come up with some good drills and give me examples to imitate when it comes to technique.

Everyone has their own methods that seem to work best for them. For me..I will take a look at what areas I feel like I am considerably slower in..maybe reloads or the draw and focus alot of attention one that aspect.

I prefer live fire practice just because you can relate it better to actual competition. this doesn't mean you need to go blow out a ton of rounds but if your practicing draws it seems to help me if I can draw and get off a shot or two. This lets me know if I truly have the right grip and then work on that if i dont. Normally when your doing dry fire drills its a little harder to be 100% sure if you have that...that is for me anyway.

No matter what your technique you just need to be repetitive so when your at a shoot you do everything the same on every stage. Goodluck this season.

Unfortunately my job puts me on the road and unable to shoot for 4-5 days per week. I can go to the range twice per week. The rest of the time I can do dry fire. Is it possible to improve in this situation?

I'm lucky when I can shoot two days a week and for the last three years, it was maybe one day a week. I spent plenty of time working with the Steve Anderson dry fire books and they're great. I'd also suggest considering some of the Double Alpha Academy/Saul Kirsch videos. They've got plenty of stuff that you can learn and work on, even without a gun...like entering and exiting positions, etc. R,