Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ideas for upgrades to match

bigcat

i have a match that i am wanting to do some work on. i was wondering if anyone here is using the henning 10.95lb recoil spring. also any other suggestions would be helpful. am on a budget of course. also only have one mag but do have 3 mag bodies to build. what should you i do with them to

it all depends on what you want to do with the gun?

I run a 11lb Wolff long slide recoil spring, I think the matches take a longer spring than the standard and limited models do so I ordered this one from Wolff and it worked good so I haven't changed

I have Hennings H141 mag bases and Grams springs and followers on two of my mags and they work great and get you 21 rounds.

I have a Henning tight fit slide stop pin and a 13lb main spring and a Henning extended firing pin.

I would say go to Hennings shop and get whatever you think you want all his stuff is great and works good, But the guns work pretty well on there own too.

Mike

I run a 11lb Wolff long slide recoil spring, I think the matches take a longer spring than the standard and limited models do so I ordered this one from Wolff and it worked good so I haven't changed

I have Hennings H141 mag bases and Grams springs and followers on two of my mags and they work great and get you 21 rounds.

I have a Henning tight fit slide stop pin and a 13lb main spring and a Henning extended firing pin.

I would say go to Hennings shop and get whatever you think you want all his stuff is great and works good, But the guns work pretty well on there own too.

Mike

thanks mike just have one question. you said 13lb main spring? isn't the recoil spring the long spring under the barrel? i am not new to shooting really but new to internal parts of guns. the only springs i have heard mentioned are recoil or main springs and springs for hammer. could you please explain. thanks

i have a match that i am wanting to do some work on. i was wondering if anyone here is using the henning 10.95lb recoil spring. also any other suggestions would be helpful. am on a budget of course. also only have one mag but do have 3 mag bodies to build. what should you i do with them to

Upgrades I've done that you might want:

Walnut grips (the core of my rubber ones cracked and they weren't fitting good any more. The walnut provides a better grip IMHO)

EGW Sear (note that it does not have the arm for the firing pin block, so your firing pin block will always be "off". Also the stock sears are very soft and the bottom corner has rounded off on both my Tanfo's causing "hammer follow". )

Henning trigger pin (my stock roll pin kept working its way out)

Henning grip screws (less ghetto and lower profile)

iFiber tall and skinny front sight (stock sights on the Tanfo's are too short and fat)

I also I polished a lot of mating surfaces on the trigger bar, hammer, etc. to improve cycling and trigger feel.

- Nealio

If your mag bodies are 40sw you might want to think about getting some 10mm ones so you can load to a longer overall cartridge length, if you load your own, or if you are ever thinking about loading your own. As far as trigger pull I have done the same as others have posted here:

polished internals to smooth out the trigger, trigger bar, trigger plunger, and the bottom of the firing pin stop where it touches the hammer.

henning xl firing pin, and a 13lb main spring(this does away with your firing pin safety)

I installed a henning flat trigger and although it's kind of expensive it really takes the slop out of the trigger on the match. (This part does take some time and effort to fit)

Fiber optic front sight from henning is a good idea too.

I use the henning 10.75lb spring in mine with really light steel loads and I think it works really well.

After market grips are nice but you can reduce the size of the stock rubber grips with a dremmel and a sanding drum if you have smaller hands.

Mike

thanks mike just have one question. you said 13lb main spring? isn't the recoil spring the long spring under the barrel? i am not new to shooting really but new to internal parts of guns. the only springs i have heard mentioned are recoil or main springs and springs for hammer. could you please explain. thanks

Yes the recoil spring is the long one under the barrel. 13# main spring Mike refers to is AKA the hammer spring.

I have a 40 match that I also have a 10mm barrel for. When shooting 40 I use the recoil spring that came with the gun. I load my 10mm's on the warm side so I run a Wolff 20# recoil spring with that so as not to abuse the frame/slide.

I tried the 13# hammer spring but was getting a lot of lite strikes, probably could have fixed it with a extra long firing pin but after I did a little polishing/stone work on the sear and hammer I went back to the stock hammer spring. My trigger job had given me a 3# pull with the stock spring and that's just where I like it.

Sal