Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

need help with new build metallic

1911vm

The simple answer is reliability. Make sure your gun is well tuned and you have a load that suits the gun and you.

A base plate for going prone is also important.

I have been shooting a long time and my gun out performs me every time, therefore in order to be competitive you need to put in a lot of quality practice time, and not worry about tricking the gun to the nth degree.

Allan is spot on with the reliability thing.

Your Springfield as is will work very well. I had one and regretted selling it, but a new toy was needed and funding was short.

The only thing you should do as soon as you can is get a prone pad. Try toolguy in the Vendors forum (Protocall Design). Excellent piece of kit and easy to use and install. That plus a good clean trigger 2 1/4lb will be the best improvement right now.

Make good ammo using JHP where-ever possible. Best chance for best accuracy. Do not go too far over 125PF as that will make the gun jump around a little more than neccessary. I like 125gr at no more than 1020fps. I use Titegroup but use what you got and anything around 3" at 50Y will be fine for what we are going to do. I think getting you into gear is more productive than hosing money around at improving the gun at this time.

However, things to look at as time goes by and when you feel the need to get a little more of an edge.

Proper Target sights - Solid Patridge style front sight and Aristocrat Rear. Thsi will be the cheapest money fo rthe biggest improvment. The SA sights are good these are awesome.

New barrel and proper installatiom thereof. I like a good Bull type barrel 6". Others swear by std bushing type barrels. Bull barrels will be heavier and mnake the gun more steady but are harder to amke work with a weight on the end as that is a lot of mass to move about. A lot of guys here have taken a 5" slide, slightly shortened it and added a barrel weight that also has the front sight mounted on it. Great idea and will help alot. MAin advantages are reduced recoil and longer sight radius. If you talk to Jay Della Bella (he is on this forum, quite a few people at the Bianchi Cup owe him big time) he can get Kart barrels at a reasonable price and he knows what is needed for Action Pistol. Plus he is a straight talker and does good work. He shots Ok as well.

Good luck and good shooting

The simple answer is reliability. Make sure your gun is well tuned and you have a load that suits the gun and you.

A base plate for going prone is also important.

I have been shooting a long time and my gun out performs me every time, therefore in order to be competitive you need to put in a lot of quality practice time, and not worry about tricking the gun to the nth degree.

thanks this sound like good advice. who makes the base plate

Allan is spot on with the reliability thing.

Your Springfield as is will work very well. I had one and regretted selling it, but a new toy was needed and funding was short.

The only thing you should do as soon as you can is get a prone pad. Try toolguy in the Vendors forum (Protocall Design). Excellent piece of kit and easy to use and install. That plus a good clean trigger 2 1/4lb will be the best improvement right now.

Make good ammo using JHP where-ever possible. Best chance for best accuracy. Do not go too far over 125PF as that will make the gun jump around a little more than neccessary. I like 125gr at no more than 1020fps. I use Titegroup but use what you got and anything around 3" at 50Y will be fine for what we are going to do. I think getting you into gear is more productive than hosing money around at improving the gun at this time.

However, things to look at as time goes by and when you feel the need to get a little more of an edge.

Proper Target sights - Solid Patridge style front sight and Aristocrat Rear. Thsi will be the cheapest money fo rthe biggest improvment. The SA sights are good these are awesome.

New barrel and proper installatiom thereof. I like a good Bull type barrel 6". Others swear by std bushing type barrels. Bull barrels will be heavier and mnake the gun more steady but are harder to amke work with a weight on the end as that is a lot of mass to move about. A lot of guys here have taken a 5" slide, slightly shortened it and added a barrel weight that also has the front sight mounted on it. Great idea and will help alot. MAin advantages are reduced recoil and longer sight radius. If you talk to Jay Della Bella (he is on this forum, quite a few people at the Bianchi Cup owe him big time) he can get Kart barrels at a reasonable price and he knows what is needed for Action Pistol. Plus he is a straight talker and does good work. He shots Ok as well.

Good luck and good shooting

Ok so this is my game plan.

Good barrel( not sure which one yet?) ,smooth crisp trigger 2.5-3, base pad, Patridge style front sight (not sure which one) and Aristocrat Rear. A lot of ammo

I also cannot find Jay Della Bella what is away to get a hold of.

You have gotten good advise. The only thing I can add is to look at barrels....I really like the KKM or Schumann 1/32 twist barrels for 115jhps at 1150-1180 for 50yd x ring precision. Bull Barrel or bushing is up to you. I have never seen a KART barrel not shoot as well.

Good luck,

DougC

• 2 weeks later...

How rugged are Aristocrat sights I heard rumors that they are very finicky . I am a little concerned permanently cutting my slide. Are Bo mar just as good?

Edited by 1911vm

I put Bomars on my 6in metallic gun, I waffled on the Aristocrat.....didn't know if I would like Action and shoot it much.....Now I wish I put the Aristocrat on it....Go figure! I have to adjust 6 Clicks for my 50 yd setting vs. the other setting for everything else. So far I have been able to remember to change it back. It would be much easier to look at the sight and know whether I need to pop it back to the 50 yd setting or the other....

My new build, when it happens, will be the Aristocrat. Champion sights makes a deep notch BOMAR clone that I really like and am using now.

I would say just go for the Aristocrat.

DougC

I put Bomars on my 6in metallic gun, I waffled on the Aristocrat.....didn't know if I would like Action and shoot it much.....Now I wish I put the Aristocrat on it....Go figure! I have to adjust 6 Clicks for my 50 yd setting vs. the other setting for everything else. So far I have been able to remember to change it back. It would be much easier to look at the sight and know whether I need to pop it back to the 50 yd setting or the other....

My new build, when it happens, will be the Aristocrat. Champion sights makes a deep notch BOMAR clone that I really like and am using now.

I would say just go for the Aristocrat.

DougC

Thanks. I think I am going the Aristocrat way I am just trieng to get some info from some one that has them. also they sell front sight togather, is it any good?

I started with Bomar / STI on my metallic gun with a good high and medium witdh front sight, we opened the Bomar a little to suit the front sight. Then I switched to a mover front sight and had to significantly modify the mount plate for the Bomar, in the end I finally got hold of the Aristcrat and have never looked back. The only thing to watch with them is if you land up using a lot of the up adjustment the pin that runs against the rar balde may pop out if you are not careful when adjusting. It will lock the sight up in a very high position as the pin pops unde the rear blade housing and has to be pushed back in if you wish to have the thing work.

Ok so this is my game plan.

Good barrel( not sure which one yet?) ,smooth crisp trigger 2.5-3, base pad, Patridge style front sight (not sure which one) and Aristocrat Rear. A lot of ammo

I also cannot find Jay Della Bella what is away to get a hold of.

I don't know if you have decided on a barrel yet. But, I put a Schuemann AET bull with the 1/24" gaintwist in my Caspian when I built it. The gun is dead reliable with the 9 round MecGar mags I'm running as well as the 10 round Wilson 9mm mags.

The magwell/basepad I'm using is from Warren Moore aka Toolguy on this forum. He makes the good stuff.

Chris