Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunna try 3gun with my current setup, what else do i need?

Hi, I wanna try 3gun but am on a budget. My goal is to get better at practical shooting, NOT to get the best time compared to other guys/gals with different equipment. Here's what I have now:

Springfield M1A Socom II, EOTech holo sight, (2) 20rd clips (1) 10rd clip,

Springfiled XD9 (2) 10rd mags, a dropdown leg holster, factory belt holster, factory belt double mag holder

Mossberg 500 tactical, 18.5" barrel, bead sight, collapsable stock, 5+1 rounds

Lee Anneversery reloading kit with extras.

My questions are, how many mags to start, how should I carry them? I have some resonable quality molle gear can I just carry this stuff on my vest, or am I gonna get laughed at? I figure everyone carries this stuff on their belts?

What should I add or remove from my current guns?

How much ammo of each should I have min?

Do I need slings or any other gear?

Also anyone in southern ca want to show me the ropes?

Glad to see you're going to give 3-gun a try.

Your guns are fine to start. Carry you pistol and mags on you belt, no serious 3-gunner uses chest rigs for mags or thigh holsters. You do not need slings for USPSA or IMGA type 3-gun matches. If your area has "tactical" matches they may require it. You may want to get at least 1 more pistol and rifle mag. Some matches have 30+ round rifle courses and its nice it have extra. You'll need a way to carry 12-16 shotgun rounds. Many of us use the 4 or 6 round shell holders and some have holders on the gun. If you don't have either a dump pouch will get you by until you decide how you like to load. Round rounds vary depending on the match. Its best to ask the match director for a round count and then ad 50-100% depending on your skill level.

My typical set for a 3 gun stage is either sinched 30's or a 45 in my rifle one 3 on my belt just in case, 2 pistol mags on the belt and one in the gun and three 4 round shot shell carriers on my belt and if need be two 6 rounders on a thigh rig.

Hope this helps

Edited by TMC

more mags!!!!!!!!! hehehe just kidding, like was said, at least 1 more rifle mag and at least 2 more pistol mags, mite think about adding a tube on the SG to get you to 8+1 in the shotgun, ammo??? find out from the match director what you will need, and try to double it, forthose pesky extra shots and the dreaded re-shoot, and lets notforgett he slugs forthe SG either

lose the vest, and carry everything on the belt,including the pistol, no thigh rigs, it gets hot here and wearin a vest and standing around, you will be drippin in no time

after that, as some have coined, its PRACTICE time, hardest point for most starting out is knowing where to hold on long range rifle targets, and mite wanna think about a multiplier to the eotech so you can see those distant plates(we shoot 8 inchers at 300+)

before you dive in, wander out to a match and seewhatthe guys(an gals) are doing, and more importantly ask a LOT of questions while you arethere

Take your gear and go shoot a match. Who cares if you come in dead last. While at this match watch everybody else, both what they are doing and what they use for gear. Then you will have total enlightenment.

Also add one more mag for the pistol and and rifle. Can never have too many mags!

Take your gear and go shoot a match. Who cares if you come in dead last. While at this match watch everybody else, both what they are doing and what they use for gear. Then you will have total enlightenment.

Also add one more mag for the pistol and and rifle. Can never have too many mags!

What's the best way to carry (2 or 3) 20rd .308 mags if I shouldn't use a vest? Plus four 10rd pistol mags plus shotshell holders? Is there enough room on a belt? What holders would be best for the .308 mags? Here in CA we're limited in round capacity so I can't carry hi cap pistol mags and the m1a clips are 20rds.

For pistol mags I use safariland 771 single holders. You could also use two double mag holders. You can find a good double holder for approx $20. I Use bladetech single mag holders for rifle mag. Having enough room on the belt can be an issue if you have it all on there at once. But the stage will dictate what you need to have on you.

IMO opinion your shotgun and rifle set-up will work fine, you will have a ton of fun. Your back pocket is a great holder for your rifle mags. A cheap belt with the elastic loops will work ok for your first couple of times shooting shotgun. It will give you time to figure out what loading method works best for you.

For pistol, use the mag holder that can with your XD it works well and it's very inexpensive. But you will want to carry around 40 rounds, so you might want to pickup a couple extra mags.

Then prepare to have the most fun possible a legally allowed.

IMO opinion your shotgun and rifle set-up will work fine, you will have a ton of fun. Your back pocket is a great holder for your rifle mags. A cheap belt with the elastic loops will work ok for your first couple of times shooting shotgun. It will give you time to figure out what loading method works best for you.

For pistol, use the mag holder that can with your XD it works well and it's very inexpensive. But you will want to carry around 40 rounds, so you might want to pickup a couple extra mags.

Awesome, thanks for the advice, so looks like I'll start by getting a few more mags and I'm going to check out a 3gun shoot in a few weeks. Very excited about it, but I'm curious to see what the ammo use is going to be like.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome, thanks for the advice, so looks like I'll start by getting a few more mags and I'm going to check out a 3gun shoot in a few weeks. Very excited about it, but I'm curious to see what the ammo use is going to be like.

If you are everyone else, you are going to used a ton of ammo your first couple match's if your club shoots any steel. I missed so many shots my first action pistol match, but I had a great time. The steel is not forgiving, where most paper you have room for error, but just lose points on it.

Be on the safe side and bring 350-400 rounds to your first matches, that will let you get a feel for the "Normal" round counts

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Blade Tech mag holders and they work well on a D A belt. The best thing to do is shoot a few matches and see what works best for you and see what everyone else uses. I have been shooting USPSA for several months now and every match I learn more from the people I shoot with at each match than I could have figured out on my own. Its cheaper to listen to what gear works and what dont than to go buy expensive equipment that will end up on the shelf in the closet.