Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long Range Paper Targets

The 4-wheeler and truck options aren't great either. :(

It beats walking though.

But, if anybody is putting on a match with more than a few shooters, they should take a long, hard look at stage reset time. Do the math...see how long it takes to run a shooter and multiply that by the number of shooters.

Some kind of vehicle with a dedicated driver so that he can drop pasters at each target array on the way out, and pick up in reverse order. Vehicle has gotta be ready to go as soon as the RO calls clear.

I have my share of horror stories ROing with long-range paper (and with self-resetting poppers for that matter), but I still really advocate at least some long-range paper on a rifle stage. Paper targets separate the men from the boys on accuracy, and more importantly give newbie shooters a familiar and quick target. They will take a few shots at a paper and move on, rather than spending dozens of shots at a small steel target. The points may not be there but at least they aren't taking 5+ minutes per shooter as I have seen. Ideally 3-gun ranges need ways to have pits for pasters at long ranges.