Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Potential Stage for club match

dagger10k

http://sketchup.goog...f5be83836964093

Thanks to Steel1212 for all the models in the stage.

I am working with another guy to design a stage for my local club match. This is an idea I had.

The idea is that the shooter starts in the "jail" (a cowboy prop on the bay I am using, represented by green walls here), and engages the steel from within the jail,

and from there the course is freestyle. The long section of wall is to encourage shooters to shoot on the move while approaching the array in the far left corner, and to stop

them from just blasting everything from the middle of the bay.

I realize that this stage has a lot of movement in it, and I wanted to enable shooters who do not feel like moving that much to shoot it mostly staticly. However, the shots will be more difficult.

There is a spot by the barrels that would allow a shooter to engage both arrays that are deep in the bay from one position.

The bay I am on requires a classifier as well, so I chose paper poppers. The target that presents a shoot-through opportunity will be removed for the field course.

I designed the course this way because it seems to offer shooters more than 1 way to attack the course, if they wish, and I think that it would be fun to shoot.

So what do you think? Would it be fun to shoot? Is it illegal for some reason I missed?

Thanks

post-20598-127493018413_thumb.png

Edited by dagger10k

Are the distances in the sketch to scale? If so, that's a HUGE amount of space and you are asking the shooters to essentially traverse a zig-zag course over 50-100 yds to shoot a couple of targets. The targets have to be shot up close or take head shots over 25 (?) yds. There isn't really any option there. It all the points for lots of time or no points for a shorter time. Either way the HF is going to be pretty low; so you are forcing everyone to run to each spot and shoot up close. The end result is a foot-speed contest. Are you going to have them shoot the back steel from inside the jail area? How far is that?

I have some ideas, but the scale question is a huge factor and has to be answered first before I could recommend any changes.

Sorry, I should have specified. Only the steel right outside the jail, about 10 yards away has to be engaged from within the jail. It's labeled on the thing.

The distances should be about accurate. About, because I'm not exactly sure what the size of the bay is. Where are the 25 yard head shots? I think the distance to the target with only the upper A/B zone is about 12ish yards from the jail, much closer if you move in.

It probably is way too big, you are right.

Think it would work if I just scaled the size of the whole course down a bit?

Maybe to half the size it is now, or a bit bigger?

Edited by dagger10k

One of the often over looked or skimmed over parts of putting together a well run match is FLOW.

How much time a squad spends on each and every stage is a very integral part of planning and running a smooth match.

No one wants to be on the last squad that has been waiting for hours to finally get to shoot the last stage.

It happens on BIG stages that take much more time to score and re-set than the rest of the stages in the match.

If ALL the stages match up in the amount of time it takes to run a squad through, then my point is mute.

If you can keep the "balancing process" in mind when putting the match together, you'll be way ahead of the game at the end of match day.

LT

while not technically illegal, saying, "you must shoot this target from here" is the sign of poor design. Check out 2.1.1, and 2.1.3, Design should prevent the unsafe action not part of the WSB, move the steel out into the middle and put up a vision barrier so you cant see the steel from anyplace but one of the jail ports, and the competitor cant get closer than 23 feet without foot faulting. As stated, having a long field corse and a classifier in one bay is gonna cause a heck of backup, where is the squad shooting the classifier gonna stand ? are you gonna expect a shooter who just sprinted 50 yards to reload and shoot a classifier right away ?

From a flow perspective: If you're gonna have two squads both shooting in the same pit, then you can't take over the bulk of the pit. If you're going to have one squad shooting both stages in a single rotation, then you've really got to plan the timing: It's usually a good idea to set the stages so that one can be scored and reset safely while the second is being shot. (Yep, the shooter'll need a delegate, if he's shooting both back to back.)

We only run one squad per bay, and 2 courses per bay. After everyone is done shooting the field course, sets up and shoots the other stage. I've never seen it done otherwise at this club.

I have to admit I hadn't thought of the whole flow issue. Anyone have any ideas on how to make it better without just shrinking it?

I will think about moving the steel also. I guess if nothing else I could extend the fault lines up to the jail, but I'd have to take off some of that hardcover or the shots would become too difficult.

Edited by dagger10k

Here is what I would do. I would push the far left target/steel array towards the center rear of the berm, Move the upper left target/steel array into the back left corner of the berm. Take three or four of the walls and run them straight down the center forcing movement from the left of the berm to the classifier array. Take the back right targets and put them on the right berm just up from the classifier array. Run a fault line angled from the walls in the center back to somewhere about a third up from the left corner of the berm. Starting X's on this fault line; shoot em as you see em. I'll put something together in a powerpoint to show what I'm talking about.