Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tripp Cobra 1911 9mm 10rd mag problem

elenius

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess that might be my solution also.

I've had an issue once where I had a jam because the fired case was not able to ejected quickly enough before that second round got in the way but I'm not totally blaming that on the mag considering it only happened once so far.

Thanks

BB

I have had it to happen with all brands of smallbore magazines and even in non-1911s like P226.

As long as the gun shoots and you don't have a hardnosed IDPA SO who will give you a PE for dragging a round out on a tac load, it does not seem to be a significant problem.

Thanks Jim Watson. I shoot a Shadow using 17rd MecGar mags and have had this happen. That next round will poke just far enough forward to make the mag hang up ever so little and prevent the free fall. Sucks having to tug that mag out. Twice in one stage actually, sucks twice as bad!

Is there any way to minimize this besides shooting down to an empty mag? Stronger mag spring? Or would the stronger spring make things worse?

So I just called Kimber to see what they would say and he read me an email he had previously gotten from one of the gunsmiths. It stated that this was normal on the 9mm Kimbers because of the "short" OAL of the 9mm round. It is "ready" to be chambered so it will fall out when the mag is removed.

Not the answer I was looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

When using the Tripp 10 rounders with my STI Trojan I have to rack the slide very fast when or the next round will fall out when I am removing the mag. Even then the next round is pulled out somewhat and I have to be careful to not lose it.

There was one time when shooting a classifier stage that a round popped out and got caught in the grip preventing me from inserting the next mag. It was very frustrating. I have since moved to a different grip setup so that will never happen again.