Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 ACP bullet removal

buckaroo45

I came across a batch of 230 gr ball 45 ACP loaded by a now defunct commercial reloader. They are SIGNIFICANTLY stout. I want to pull the bullets and use my recipe. Problem is my RCBS and Forster collet pullers aren't working. I've tried seating the bullets a tad deeper, .005 or so, to break any crimp but the collets can't get a decent bite on the bullet either before reseating and evidently even less after. I don't want to use a hammer type for over 1,000 rounds. Any ideas?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chaos, panic, and disorder. My work here is done.

Edited by buckaroo45

Yep - Collet pullers do not work very well with pistol rounds. The projectiles are seated to far into the case to get a grip on them. You will have to go back to the kinetic puller and hammer away.

Now for the REST of the story. In giving it another try, I noticed the die was moving slightly when I tightened the collet. Evidently was enough to lessen the grip on the boolit. Cinched the lock nut down with a 10" crescent and VOILA! Started pulling like a bandit so make sure the lock nut is TIGHT! An interesting side note, I also posted a msg to RCBS about the problem the same day I posted here. Still no response. Hmmmmmm. They're down to third level on my preferred vendor list. :angry2:

_________________________________________________________________________________________

"AK-47. When you absolutely, positively have to kill every bastard in the room, accept no substitutes."