Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

a used okuma CNC lathe for $3,000 ?

Chills1994

yeah...what say you? does it sound too good to be true?

I'm thinking the guy must have left off a zero.

as far as gunsmithing goes, a CNC lathe is probably not as versatile as a CNC mill would be...but I have other ideas in mind. :ph34r:

I will have to look again at the ad to see if it comes with a barfeeder....

methinks that buying a CNC lathe without a barfeeder would be like buying a 650 or a 1050 without a casefeeder. :blink:

yeah...what say you? does it sound too good to be true?

I'm thinking the guy must have left off a zero.

as far as gunsmithing goes, a CNC lathe is probably not as versatile as a CNC mill would be...but I have other ideas in mind. ph34r.gif

I will have to look again at the ad to see if it comes with a barfeeder....

methinks that buying a CNC lathe without a barfeeder would be like buying a 650 or a 1050 without a casefeeder. blink.gif

Like my mama always told me "If it sounds to good to be true, I probably isn't".

I have seen them for $10K but in these times who knows. The best deals come from the the D's, Death, Divorce, Desperation. I once bought a 3 year old Cadillac for $500.00. It was in a yard with a sign on it For Sale, I stopped asked how much and the little old lady said $500. I bought it instantly, afterward I asked her why so cheap. She said her husband had died and requested that it be sold and the money be given to his girlfriend and she was just following his wishes. Sold it the same afternoon for $12,000 to a wholesaler.

Edited by CocoBolo

I called the guy (it is/was a craig's list ad that popped up in st. louis, but was actually in KC)

no, it wasn't a typo...the guy really only wanted 3k for...so yeah it went fast.

so I went on to ask the guy how much it weighed.

he said 20,000 pounds. :blink:

the ad also said it had a 30 horsepower motor....hmmn...I'm guessing it wasn't wired for 220 single phase. :goof:

I'm thinking might have been a bit much for my first lathe. :roflol:

I called the guy (it is/was a craig's list ad that popped up in st. louis, but was actually in KC)

no, it wasn't a typo...the guy really only wanted 3k for...so yeah it went fast.

he said 20,000 pounds. blink.gif

the ad also said it had a 30 horsepower motor....hmmn...I'm guessing it wasn't wired for 220 single phase. goof.gif

I'm thinking might have been a bit much for my first lathe. roflol.gif

Chills - My smith has a combo Lathe and Mill he told me he wanted to sell, I don' t recall what he said he wanted for it but it was less than 2K and it looks to be in great shape, and they are still using it in the gun shop. Call Wayne HO at HO Guns 210-521-2288 (11 am - 6p Tue-Sat CST).

he said 20,000 pounds. blink.gif

the ad also said it had a 30 horsepower motor....hmmn...I'm guessing it wasn't wired for 220 single phase. goof.gif

I'm thinking might have been a bit much for my first lathe. roflol.gif

My guess would be it is mid 80's vintage. Actually quite a few around, have numerous of that vintage around our plant.

But be warned, there is a good chance your first breakdown will cost you more than that to repair. When ours hit a major repair, we strip it for parts and scrap metal the rest.

And yes it would definitely be 3 phase.

Sherwyn

Shame ya missed out on that one! You "can" run motors that big off of phase converters, but it's a MAJOR pain! Without barfeed actually isn't a "huge" disadvantage unless you're doing major production. I.E. 500+ parts at a time. Heck, I just ran 1K plus parts tonight off of two lathes w/o barfeeders... Kinda hard to cram 175mm tube through a Mori SL-25 spindle though :-/ .

Ken