Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 38 super caliber conversion to 9x23

jdk62738super

Thinking about changing my 627 super to 9x23.Checked out specs on cases they seem to be similar except 9x23 is a tapered case. I would have to use a chamber reamer.The extractor groove are the same, and 9x23 cases fit in my moon clips.The reason I am doing this is my open guns are 9x23 and I have about 20,000 pices of brass. What do you think.Plan to use gun for steel matches and uspsa open division minor for fun.

Unless you are palnning to shoot major PF why ruin your revolver by machining it away to a caliber that died out years ago? Your 38 Super will already shoot 38 Colt Shorts and fit the moon clips that are available. Minor is the only way to shoot steel....BTW, your 9X23 will shoot 38 Super too!

I said something to Jerry about reaming mine to 9x23 and he advised me not to do it. The cylinder is very hard and my cases don't fit in the moon clips very well. They fit but there is a lot of movement. The Super cases that I have were never shot in an auto so they extract better.

If the the 9x23 died out years ago then why does Starline have a hard time keeping it in stock? I shoot 9x23 almost exclusively so when I need to load for the revolver I just change the shellplate and sizer on my 1050.