Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bringing the Wrong Gun to a Match

Graham Smith

The title's not exactly correct, but it might as well be. I've only been able to shoot a few matches so far this year because things don't really start around here until March and the weather and my schedule have intruded quite a bit, but I have not been happy with my shooting.

Now, I'm the first to admit that I'm not that good to start with and I don't practice enough and have too many bad habits. None-the-less, I don't generally feel as out of control as I have felt this year. So, last Friday I went to the range to see if I could work out why. And after one magazine it hit me like a ton of bricks - it wasn't me, it was the gun.

I started shooting a Glock 35 at the beginning of last year. I spent the first part of the year shooting .40 minor in Production and switched to .40 major Limited near the end of the year. Through some trial and error I found that a 13 lb recoil spring for minor and a 15 lb recoil spring for major seemed to work best for me. I was working on slow fire stuff using some .40 minor ammo at an indoor range in early March before the first match and, like an idiot, forgot to swap recoil springs before the first match and didn't notice that till last Friday.

Now, I'm not going to say that I suddenly started shooting like a GM, but for the first time this year, I felt comfortable with the gun. Now if I can just get my over my aversion to classifiers and slow down a bit on the run-and-guns...<sigh>

• 3 weeks later...