Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Least smoke with cast bullets

Jody Waring

Going to shoot some cast bullets out of my Shadow, which will be minor PF Production loads. I am wondering what the consensous would be on the least "smoky" powder any of you guys have used in 9mm with cast bullets. I will be shooting both 125 and 147gr. My loads with 231 definitely keep the blackflies away :wacko: Thanks in advance for any input.

Single based powders are what will be recommended. Solo 1000 and Vit "N" series powder. It will also be depended on the lube on your bullet so you should just try different brands.

If you are using the coated Bayou Bullets then it really does not matter which powder you use.

Solo 1000 or WST are the way to go! I have also tried Clays and WSF and they both smoke considerably more that the two previously mentioned powders.

FWIW, I have an SP-01 (non-Shadow version) that will not group 147gr for nothing in the world. It'll group 125gr and 135gr sub-2" at 25yrds all day long but I could never managed to get anywhere near that with 147gr bullets. I have heard that the Shadow version has the same issue due to its barrel's twist rate (which I assume it must the the same as the non-Shadow's barrel).

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. Problem I have in my area I don't have the greatest selection of powders available. Though, I do have access to most Winchester and Hodgdon powders. VV is something that needs to be ordered, so I may have to look into that. As far as Solo 1000, I don't even think it has made it to this side of the border sadly. Of what I have seen mentioned, I think I can get WSF, and maybe Unique. Will look into it a bit more. Thanks again guys keep the input coming :cheers:

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. Problem I have in my area I don't have the greatest selection of powders available. Though, I do have access to most Winchester and Hodgdon powders. VV is something that needs to be ordered, so I may have to look into that. As far as Solo 1000, I don't even think it has made it to this side of the border sadly. Of what I have seen mentioned, I think I can get WSF, and maybe Unique. Will look into it a bit more. Thanks again guys keep the input coming :cheers:

Pretty much not any more input to give on this topic: Solo 1000, WST, WSF, Unique... 147's don't shoot well out of the CZ's but a few have gotten them to run. It's a very few though. 135's are the way to go with a CZ. WST is your best bet if you can get Winchester powders.