Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack in limited

kdh

Does anybody shoot Limited with a single stack 45 and 10 round magazines? I cant afford a limited gun right now, how much of a disadvantage would it be, I have only shot a few matches and seems there is usually one stage that you would need a high capacity magazine but if you timed your reloads just right it wouldn't be to bad.

Thanks

kdh, You could shoot in L-10 and there would be no disadvantages.  I would say to anyone new or not, shoot what you got if it runs.  I've got a limited hi cap but that old SS is my favorite.  By the way there's a guy that hangs out here my the name of Kyle Lamb and Ive seen him wax several limited and open shooters with a SS.  So I would say its the Indian not the Bow.

It's probly just like shooting minor in open or limited.

You'll feel good if you win or beat some local top dogs, but someone with equal or even a little less skill will beat you.

Flex probly got it right on these "disadvantaged" eqipment scenarios...

If you're goal is fun with the gun, shoot whatever you want. If you want the match, shoot the competitive gear.

(TGO could smoke most of the world with an 8 rd 9mm in limited, BUT he'd be easier to catch for the other big dogs)

Having said all that, I fully intend to shoot a match or two with a 9mm double action Beretta race gun, just BECAUSE...but it won't be a big match.

SA

I think, if you have a good reload, you are at less of a disadvantage than you may think.  

I have started shooting my club's monthly classifier in both L-10 & Limited in an effort to get classified in Limited.  Only one classifier has posted so far and with a flubbed up reload it was 65% in Limited vs a nice smooth L-10 which was 75%.  Had I not flubbed the reload up I feel the Limited classifier would have been 70%ish.

We will see how much of a disadvanatge it really is...I will be shooting the Area 8 Open/Limited Championship with a SS 45!!!

Bill

(Edited by Bill Schwab at 7:29 am on Aug. 6, 2002)

You won't be disadvantaged all that often..main thing I found is being smooth in the reload..On most of the classifiers and short courses..you can keep up and win stages..On high round count, short movement courses you will give up some, this is where smooth helps a lot; on high round count, movement stages you can do allright.

It is a lot of fun to shoot L10 in limited. It feels like a real good test of my shooting and skills (reloads, movement, awareness)

kdh:

Funny you should ask. I was just visiting with bonedaddy about how much fun it is to rock and roll with a .45 single stack. For what it's worth, bonedaddy shot his way well into A class with a single stack before he bought a wide body.

I shoot my single stack in matches from time to time and I run with A and B class shooters shooting wide guns, no problemo.

The old single stack 1911 is right at home in Limited 10.