Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Threaded non-bull for cone comp

Alan Adamson

Warning, I'm only armed with dangerous information.

I've been wanting to try a different comp on one of my open guns. I won a Brazos comp this past month at Area 6. It's a cone comp for 9mm/38 super threaded to .575 x 40 - a thundercomp 2. I'd also like to purchase a Schumann barrel that it would mate to. This is for a standard 5" open gun with no poppels.

I looked on the Schuemann website, but didn't find a threaded, non bull barrel in 9mm. Is this something that the smith does by getting a non-threaded barrel and threading it?

What barrel would I purchase such that I could send the barrel, comp and topend or complete gun to a smith to have them create this second barrel that I might try in this gun? (yes, I know it will be specific to this gun, but that's ok.

Thanks in advance,

Alan

Yes. Standard "bushing" barrel.

And the Smith will do the threading? In thinking about this, I suppose it makes sense because they will need to cut it to the specific length and then thread it... what length would I purchase?

Alan

Edited by Alan Adamson

Yes. Standard "bushing" barrel.

And the Smith will do the threading? In thinking about this, I suppose it makes sense because they will need to cut it to the specific length and then thread it... what length would I purchase?

Alan

My "yes" was an answer to your first question: the 'smith does the threading.

And 5" for your 5" gun. Don't let the 'smith cut your slide since you're trying another barrel/comp. The filing and cutting should be done on the barrel and comp, i.e. the cheaper parts.

And 5" for your 5" gun. Don't let the 'smith cut your slide since you're trying another barrel/comp. The filing and cutting should be done on the barrel and comp, i.e. the cheaper parts.

Right now a bald STI slide costs a couple of bucks less than a Schuemann Classic barrel (non-AET) and an AET is about $60 more...but I get what you're saying so the old barrel and comp will still work on the gun. R,

Right now a bald STI slide costs a couple of bucks less than a Schuemann Classic barrel (non-AET) and an AET is about $60 more...but I get what you're saying so the old barrel and comp will still work on the gun. R,

I was consider it more from the standpoint of the cost of fitting the slide to the frame, milling it however you'd want, blending the rear of it to the frame, fitting the FP stop, extractor, etc.

Just sell me the Brazos comp and put the money into practice ammo. I've got two of them and have to say they are very good. Your barrel will need to reach to the edge of the first port in the comp. I'm not sure 5" is long enough, but that depends on your slide, I bought (2) 6" Clark barrels for one of my guns which clark has them threaded and for a nominal fee will cut and crown them for you ($25.00). No they are probably not as good as an AET but I'm no GM either. I saw one on USPSA for $75 but it wasn't threaded and its para/clark cut and most STI are Nowlin.

The Brazos Comp is oversized and has to be cut down to fit the slide but on the two I did once they were on the barrel and fit the slide they were ready to shoot no need to ream.

If I were going to buy a slide I would get a Caspian they actually test the hardness of the slide. STI slides can be soft and I must be lucky I got a couple soft ones.

Let me break this myth, when you swap barrels or top ends on the gun you will need to adjust the C-more, yep in all probabily they will not hit the same, you will need to re-zero the gun. So like the XL650 I don't change unless I'm shooting 2K or more rounds.

Edited by CocoBolo