Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Long Loads

RJY

I'm new to this forum and have been reading alot about loading the .40 with a long oal. What are the advantages and disadvantages to loading long? I've also read that you should have the barrel leade cut deeper to use these loads. I'm in the process of purchasing an Edge, will these long loads work in the Edge with out any modification?

Yes long loads will work in your Edge. I was told by STI when I ordered my short-block, "If you can get them in the mag they will work!" Your absolute longest length will be dictated by your magazines.

I believe that by loading long, you gain feeding reliability and also reduce pressures at major. The 1911 platform was designed for a cartridge with an OAL of about 1.25". The closer you can come to that the better the reliability.

My STI in .40 feeds everything from factory 1.105" to my long 1.235" pin loads.

Ray C.

I load long in my .40 SV Limited gun. I load a 180 grain bullet to 1.20". Never had any feeding problems at all. Exactly what sixgun said about loading as long as you can so it still fits in the mag. This will help any feeding issues you may have. The other benefit of this is if someone needs some ammo you can offer it to them and if they aren't shooting an SV or ST then they won't be able to get them to fit into their mags. HEHE :rolleyes:

RJY,

Welcome to the forum. My Edge is like Sixguns', it will feed just about anything. The major pf load I use is 1.170" oal with a Zero 180gr jhp.

Do a search here in the forum for "feedramp". BE posted once about how to polish it. A requirement if you want it to feed well.