Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cooling Vest

Filishooter

I'm working out a deal to do some R&D for a company that makes cooling vests for the military and LEO. The vest uses proprietary gell-packs that cool at 59 degrees for 2 1/2 hours. They recharge after 20 minutes in ice water then are good for another 2 1/2 hours at 59 degrees. The company wants to test if its feasible to modify an existing vest to better suit the needs of practical shooters. They already have a concealable version that could be worn under the shooting jersey so I'll be testing that as well as a custom vest that will be worn outside the shirt.

Just wondering if anyone has tried one of these vests before for anything? Do you think there will be a market in practical shooting? In Florida, in the middle of summer, I think it would work great as long as its not overly bulky and heavy and allow normal freedom of movement. The vests aren't exactly cheap so I'm not sure if folks would pay for the comfort.

From a business and feasibility standpoint ...here are some suggestions. ;)

I would say that there would be several things to consider and among them is a biggie... and that one is "price point." I realize that a lot of shooters spend a lot of $$ on gear but if the vest was ~200.00 or more, I doubt that many would use it unless they lived in a really hot place.

In list form I would say that before going further you would need to do several things:

1) figure out what the price point would be and look to see if there are any other *popular vests* in that price range.

2) Figure the weight of the vest. If it is heavy, it will not be worn.

3) flexibility of the vest and if it would be considered "illegal weighting" by some shooting sports. I know that IDPA has several rules about "weighted vests" to gain a competitive advantage.

4) availability to "recharge" the cooling panels easily when you are at a match that is in the middle of nowhere.... with limited to no access to electricity.

5) length of a "charge" on the panels. Honestly, 2.5 hours is not all that long at a large match. it is not short... but are people going to be willing to walk back to a car or fridge say, every three hours to "recharge" it and then walk back to the match/next stage?

6) Cost of the panels themselves to replace them or have a second set so that you do not have to go without while the first set are "recharging."

Yes, part of my current job is to find holes in ideas/things, do some Quality Control and generally "be paranoid" ...why do you ask? :roflol:

I extensively used a Cool Suit setup when I was actively racing cars in the mid 80's to late 90's. Not a 'rechargeable' setup, it used an external cooler full of water and ice that was pumped through a series of hoses in a vest and helmet liner. Cost back then was around $1K-1.5K all up.

It made a HUGE difference in 'human performance', esp. at the desert tracks (Willow Springs, Firebird, etc.) during summertime when air temps in the car would reach well over 125 degrees (150+ degrees surface temp at the firewall and floor/tunnel areas).

Having said that, I can't see big acceptance in practical shooting. Stage times are very short in duration, and you usually have time to stay cool (and cool down) between stages using cold towels, hats, and shade. Plus, the bulk of the vest would just be a distraction and slow you down. IMHO.

But interesting to see how it works out for you - please keep us posted!

Barry

Thanks for the tips!!! I'll pass it on to the owner of the company.

I used the vest during practice last weekend and I'll be damned, the thing works as advertised. After letting them wear it for a while, all my buddies wanted me to try to get them one (FREE)...as you guys said, I'm not sure people would pay the amount that the vest sells for. It's not that its not a good product...a bunch has been sent to Afghanistan, SWAT teams use them under their gear, firefighters use them. But it would be a luxury for action shooting.

While a stage might last for less then a minute, imagine all the time spent in the sun pasting or running the timer, etc. The vest can help against heat exhaustion and fatigue. I probably would take it off when I shoot for freedom of movement, but after testing it, any time I'm not shooting I'd rather be wearing it then not!

In list form I would say that before going further you would need to do several things:

1) figure out what the price point would be and look to see if there are any other *popular vests* in that price range.

2) Figure the weight of the vest. If it is heavy, it will not be worn.

3) flexibility of the vest and if it would be considered "illegal weighting" by some shooting sports. I know that IDPA has several rules about "weighted vests" to gain a competitive advantage.

4) availability to "recharge" the cooling panels easily when you are at a match that is in the middle of nowhere.... with limited to no access to electricity.

5) length of a "charge" on the panels. Honestly, 2.5 hours is not all that long at a large match. it is not short... but are people going to be willing to walk back to a car or fridge say, every three hours to "recharge" it and then walk back to the match/next stage?

6) Cost of the panels themselves to replace them or have a second set so that you do not have to go without while the first set are "recharging."

Some specific answers

1) Current price is $150 - $200 although one may be developed specifically for action sports with a lower price point, that's why I'm testing it for them.

2) Not heavy at all.

3) Allowed reasonable freedom of movement. Some modifications would need to be made to the current vest though.

5) 2.5 hours > many people carry a cooler of drinks with them stage to stage > toss it in the cooler for 15 minutes > good for another 2.5 hours

6) Cost of the cooling packs are high. Most of the cost of the vest are in the cooling packs.

I use a Chilly Vest whenever the temp gets over 100 degrees. It really helps. I keep the ice pack that comes with the vest charged and it last about 5 hour. I also use those cheap $1.49 blue ice packs that i charge in the freezer and put them in the vest when the big pack has died out for the day. Much cheaper then buying another pack from Chilly Vest.