Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Control/timing The Gun?

bountyhunter

Here is a quote from matt Burkett's web site about recoil control:

"The concept of recoil control or timing the gun

(from the shooters perspective) is to subconsciously return the sights to the

same spot. This is a neuromuscular firing of fast twitch muscles that occurs

.04-.07 of a second after the shot is fired. Notice is said subconscious. .."

So, if they pulled the trigger on a dead primer or empty chamber, would you see a forward push down on the muzzle from the "pre loaded" fast twitch muscles programmed to fire .04 seconds after the trigger pull?

The reason I ask is that I generally do have a slight forward push after I fire on an empty (not realizing it) showing the programmed response of these muscles. But the REALLY GOOD shooters I see do not show that when they fire around the cylinder and shoot on an empty. I always assumed that the "rock steady" gun after an empty pull was what we were all trying to achieve..?

I've noticed if I'm casually shooting groups then when I pull the trigger on an empty chamber I won't flinch. I'll see the sights on target and they stay on target even after the hammer breaks.

When I'm shooting fast doing 2 or more shots on a target or a platerack or whatever if I get an empty chamber the gun will indeed drop.

However, my accuracy isn't taking a backseat when going fast. I think when going slow while shooting groups etc. you are more focused on trigger control and only paying attention to sight alignment and watching the sights lift. When going fast you are quickly seeing the sights on target, breaking the shot, seeing the sights lift and trying to get them back on target ASAP. Thus the reason for pushing the gun.

I hope this helps a little.

I'm sure more people will chime in!

Pete

I always assumed that the "rock steady" gun after an empty pull was what we were all trying to achieve..?

There's hardly ever a fixed rule. If you're shooting PPC or Action Pistol, sure. But if you're cranking away on an El Presidente, you will naturally develop and benefit from (what is often called) the "delayed flinch."

The combination of target size and distance dictates "what you can get away with."

The only thing that matters is that you do not move the gun off the target before the bullet leaves the barrel.

be

PistolPete Posted: Jan 16 2004, 03:15 PM 

... if I'm casually shooting groups then when I pull the trigger on an empty chamber I won't flinch ...

When I'm shooting fast ... the gun will indeed drop.

I experience this as well. The more difficult the shot, the longer I wait before I drive the gun due to a longer follow through, if the gun goes click it won't move much. When it's hammer time, I'm driving the muzzle of the gun like Frank Bullitt and his Mustang GT. If the gun goes click instead of bang, you'll see me waving it around like a mini-flag-on-a-stick on the fourth of July (in a not threatening manner and a safe direction of course). Not to say this is correct, but this is what I'm seeing right now. I'm working on being more subtle.

It would be good to review Type 1 through Type 5 shooting in The Book. There is a difference and it's best to use the right one at the proper time.

I always assumed that the "rock steady" gun after an empty pull was what we were all trying to achieve..?

If achieving "rock steady" begins to translate to "death grip" I would be really careful. Neutral is good.

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes I read what I wrote previously and wonder if it makes as little sense to other people as it does to me reading it at a later time. I must have been drinking ... :blink:

To continue bountyhunter's question, does the "delayed flinch/post-ignition push" require more "push force" during a rapid fire string or does it just feel that way?