Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is Unique the best bare lead powder or am I missing someting?

.45er

Please excuse if this has been covered many times before. I have searched and searched and haven't found a solid answer. I have recently loaded up some nice minor pf loads using clays and a 180gr bare lead round nose flat point bullet. This is out of a Glock 35 with a storm lake barrel. Since I am shooting on a budget and will be shooting bare cast lead bullets primarily I am looking for some powder advice. From everything I have read it looks like I don't want to work up a major pf load using clays. I have read a bit on Unique but are there any others out there? I am looking to buy a pound of powder and do some loading this weekend. The only thing that may change would be possibly loading with a 170gr TC bare lead bullet. Looking for something that is somewhat smokefree if possible and am also wondering how much difference in power factor a 170gr bullet would change from a 180gr. Thanks in advance.

I use tightgroup. 4.2 grn behind a 180 tc lead bullet gives me 169pf from my 35 with a stormlake barrel. It is a little smokey but not enough to bother me. Hope this helps. 3G

Winchester Super Field is cleaner-burning and just as kind to the back of lead or moly-coated bullets. WSF and Unique will have almost identical velocities for the same charge weight, although the charge volumes will be different.

That's my experience in 10mm. WSF and Unique should still be very similar in 40cal. It's a good choice for the people who feel the need to shoot Production with 180 grain 40cal bullets - better than downloading a fast powder to 3.x grains.

If you have a load for 180 bullets, won't need to change much for a 170. Maybe just add .2 or .3 gr of powder. Depends on the brands used.

Edited by eric nielsen

Thanks Jman. I think that settles it....looks like I will pick up a lb. of Unique tomorrow. I also plan on playing with some titegroup in the future with jacked/plated bullets. One thing I forgot to mention is that I do have about 15lbs of 700x that i have been loading in my .45's. This doesn't seem like it would be too bad of an option either from what I have been reading. I am openly seeking advice as all my other reloading has been done with the low pressure round of the .45acp and just want to make sure I am finding something consistent in the higher pressured 40 s&w round.

Edited by .45er

unique and lead bullets??? OMG...leastfor me, yrs ago i was told it was the end all be all for .45, what i was NOT told was .45 hardball FMJ....not lead...again leastfor me, and it was in an indoor range it was fire a 8 rd mag...wait forthe smoke to clear to see the target, anything past about 7 yrds for me, was pretty much obscured, it did however give better velocities w/ FMJ and less of a 'snap' than bullseye(the other white meat ofthe time) these days i shoot pretty much WST in any of my toys in .40/10mm/.45