Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slideracker

Loki999

I am a lefty and my open gun came from the smith with a sidewinder on the right side of the slide. I was told it was tuned to eject and miss the "backwards" slide racker. That wasn't the case, I had empty cases flying every direction bouncing off the racker. Switched it to the left side, didn't like reaching over the gun and it gave no help on table starts. My problem was solved when my good friend Sudden Death cut the racker in two and welded it making me a custom left handed slide racker. It is easier to get to, helps on table starts and I don't have to remove it when I take the slide off the gun.

I am also a lefty and had to go the custom route. I built my own and through trial and error I have the length just right for barricades and the angle just right for my thumb positions. It is difficult to get a slide racker profile that will work with everyone I'm sure.

The McLearn slide rackers I have seen look good and are well likes by their users. The racker goes up at a high angle then has a bend straight out. This misses just about any thumb and is up by the scope. Though, I suppose there are those that would not like the high position.

Hi Loki,

Not that I have any extensive experience of slide rackers(being a standard division shooter), but I'm building a racegun of my BulM5 and I wanted one for clearing jams and pick up support at table start positions. I put some thought into it. The racker had to come off easily so disassembling the gun for cleaning could be done without using any tools.

Hearing of guys having their thumbs battered made me consider a healthy clearance margin. This is the prototype I came up with. As you can see there's plenty of room for my thumb and I have rather long fingers. I will probably make a couple of different models so this rudimentary prototype may not be used in the end, but it's still a good example of a way to go if you want to have the support and keeping your thumb out of harms way B) .

DVC

BulM5

post-24360-127439265434_thumb.jpg

post-24360-127439274159_thumb.jpg

Wow that's a big one!

I try not to brag. Maybe this petit one is a little more you... :roflol:

Guess you'll have to try out a couple to find what works for you.

DVC

BulM5

Is that like bailing wire holding the handle onto the dovetail insert? :lol:

Wow that's a big one!

I try not to brag. Maybe this petit one is a little more you... :roflol:

Guess you'll have to try out a couple to find what works for you.

DVC

BulM5

Is that like bailing wire holding the handle onto the dovetail insert? :lol:

Bailing wire... :lol: good one...

The racker is actually secured with a metal paper clip bent 90 degrees into a hole on top of the insert. Bend the clip upwards a bit, pull it out and...viola...the racker comes off the slide.

Easy no tools required disassembling the gun for cleaning.

DVC

BulM5

I've moved mine to the right side because of switching to a 90* mount. Not sure if I'm going to like it, but I loved it on my gun before. Much faster than trying to grab the back of the slide. And as far as reaching across your sight picture or tilting your gun, by reaching across with one finger you don't do it any more than grabbing the back of the slide itself. You're still reaching across your sight picture and somewhat tilting your gun. I can do it with a slide racker much faster than without, that's why I kept mine.

Hi Loki,

Not that I have any extensive experience of slide rackers(being a standard division shooter),

Just a FYI, with both those rackers you've designed, welcome to Open.

Gun wont fit the box with those on.

I've got a Sidewinder on the left on my open.

personally I wouldn't want it on my right side. Awkward to use with empty starts and with tablestarts the racker isn't proping the gun up for easy access.

Edited by Cardinal

Here's the slideracker idea I came up with. It's simply a .250" hole drilled through the slide, and is retained with a set screw which locks into a dimpled drilled into the bottom. In hindsight I wish I'd put the .250" hole through to slide more forward, just to clear the scope mount. Live and learn

Tripp4-9-10004.jpg

Swenson-Tripp001.jpg

Edited by RussB

Here's the slideracker idea I came up with. It's simply a .250" hole drilled through the slide, and is retained with a set screw which locks into a dimpled drilled into the bottom. In hindsight I wish I'd put the .250" hole through to slide more forward, just to clear the scope mount. Live and learn

Tripp4-9-10004.jpg

Swenson-Tripp001.jpg

Nicely done Russ. I like the thumb safety - where did U get it?

Nicely done Russ. I like the thumb safety - where did U get it?

Thanks. It's the "Swenson" ambi paddle safety from Brownell's. It took lots of fitting to work on the 2011 frame

Just a FYI, with both those rackers you've designed, welcome to Open.

Thanks mate.

Gun wont fit the box with those on.

You think!? In the great words of chief inspector Closseu - "I know that, I know that..."

If it's as fun with open as my former standard shooting pal says, the gun might never come close to a complience box again.

Hi,

it is my gun CZ75Champion.

cz75open014.jpg

I am righthand and I tested left and right slideracker.

I think the best solution for righhand is left slideracer and for lefthand is right slidericker.

Regards

Sebastian